1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: L in terms of a and b as a maximum

1. Aug 31, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex] L = \frac{a}{\sin{\theta}} + \frac{b}{\cos{\theta}} [/tex]

find L in terms of a and b where L is a maximum .....

2. Relevant equations

place long list of trigonometric identities here??

3. The attempt at a solution

so my attempt looks something like this:

as a cause of the chain rule:

[tex] \frac{dL}{d\theta} = - \frac{a \cdot \cos{\theta} }{\sin^2{\theta}} + \frac{b \cdot \sin{\theta}}{\cos^2{\theta}} [/tex]

so with [tex] \frac{dL}{d\theta} = 0 [/tex] ..

[tex] \sin{\theta} = \cos{\theta}(\frac{a}{b})^{\frac{1}{3}} [/tex]

[tex] \cos{\theta} = \frac{\sin{\theta}}{ (\frac{a}{b})^{\frac{1}{3}}} [/tex]

also..

[tex] L = a\csc{\theta} + b\sec{\theta} [/tex]

so that by identities..

[tex] \frac{dL}{d \theta} = a(-\cot{\theta} \cdot \csc{\theta}) + b(-\csc^2{\theta}) [/tex]

which when [tex] \frac{dL}{d \theta} [/tex] is set to zero and the resultant reduced ....

[tex] \cos{\theta} = - \frac{b}{a} [/tex]

substituting the above into the original equation and reducing I have come to

[tex] = - \frac{a^{\frac{5}{3}}}{b^{\frac{2}{3}}} - \frac{a \cdot b^{\frac{2}{3}}}{b^{\frac{2}{3}}} [/tex]

which looks like it is approaching the final answer of

[tex] L = (a^{\frac{2}{3}} + b^{\frac{2}{3}})^{\frac{3}{2}} [/tex]

but is most likely somehow wrong and there is probably a much simpler answer I am overlooking as this seems a bit out of context :/

if I skipped too many steps forgive me I will add more .... latex is very time consuming for me!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2
  4. Sep 1, 2010 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You've got tan(theta)=(a/b)^(1/3). Stop there. So theta=arctan((a/b)^(1/3)). Now you need to find sin and cos of the arctan. BTW this isn't necessarily a maximum - so far it's just a critical point.

5. Sep 1, 2010 #4
    Thank you both!

o~o

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook