L-J Potential-Distance of equilibrium

In summary, the equilibrium distance, r, for the Lennard-Jones potential is given by ##\displaystyle \left(\frac{2B}{A}\right)^{\frac{1}{6}}##. This can be found by taking the minimum of the potential energy function, Uvdw(r)=-A/r6+B/r12, using the equations A=10-77 Jm6 and B=10-134 Jm12.
Pahoo
LJ-Potential

Homework Statement

Find distance of equilibrium for:
Uvdw(r)=-A/r6+B/r12
A=10-77 Jm6
B=10-134 Jm12

Homework Equations

Uvdw(r)=-A/r6+B/r12

The Attempt at a Solution

It is suppose that r is the distance, but I have not any idea how to calculate this.

appreciate your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Pahoo said:

Homework Statement

Uvdw(r)=-A/r6+B/r12
A=10-77 Jm6
B=10-134 Jm12

Homework Equations

Uvdw(r)=-A/r6+B/r12

It is suppose that r is the distance, but I have not any idea how to calculate this.

appreciate your help

This article may help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lennard-Jones_potential

This isn't really an engineering question, though. Would you like me to move this to the HH/Advanced Physics forum?

Homework Statement

Uvdw(r)=-A/r6+B/r12
A=10-77 Jm6
B=10-134 Jm12

Homework Equations

Uvdw(r)=-A/r6+B/r12

It is suppose that r is the distance, I suppose that r=(2A/B)(1/6)
and 0=2A-Br6.
However I`m totally lost

appreciate your help

Last edited:
Thanks

The equilibrium distance is the minimum of the potential. How do you find a minimum?

ok, finally I figure out how to calculate the minimun which is r = (2^(1/6) B^(1/6))/A^(1/6). Am I right?

Looks good. I would express it as ##\displaystyle \left(\frac{2B}{A}\right)^{\frac{1}{6}}##

1. What is the L-J Potential-Distance of equilibrium?

The Lennard-Jones Potential-Distance of equilibrium, also known as the L-J potential or 6-12 potential, is a mathematical model used to describe the interaction between two neutral atoms or molecules. It takes into account both repulsive and attractive forces between the particles, and is commonly used in molecular simulations and calculations.

2. How is the L-J Potential-Distance of equilibrium calculated?

The L-J potential is calculated by the following equation: V(r) = 4ε[(σ/r)^12 - (σ/r)^6], where r is the distance between the particles, ε is the depth of the potential well, and σ is the distance at which the potential between the particles is zero. This equation takes into account the repulsive term, which dominates at short distances, and the attractive term, which dominates at longer distances.

3. What is the significance of the L-J Potential-Distance of equilibrium?

The L-J potential is significant because it accurately describes the behavior of atoms and molecules in a wide range of systems, including gases, liquids, and solids. It has been used extensively in the study of intermolecular interactions, phase transitions, and other phenomena in chemistry and physics.

4. How does the L-J Potential-Distance of equilibrium affect the stability of a system?

The L-J potential plays a crucial role in determining the stability of a system. At the equilibrium distance, the potential energy is at a minimum, meaning that the particles are in a stable state. If the particles are too far apart or too close together, the potential energy increases and the system becomes less stable. This equilibrium distance is dependent on the specific properties of the particles, such as their size and charge.

5. Can the L-J Potential-Distance of equilibrium be modified for different types of particles?

Yes, the L-J potential can be modified to account for different types of particles. The parameters ε and σ can be adjusted to fit the properties of different particles, such as varying sizes or charges. This allows the L-J potential to be used to study a wide range of systems and is one of the reasons for its widespread use in scientific research.