Lactic acidosis: how is it possible?

• Thread starter Aymeric
  • Start date
In summary: Englund/In_summary, the lactate shuttle hypothesis suggests that the loss of protons from lactate may play a role in the development of lactic acidosis. This occurs when lactate is already ionized and unable to release a proton, due to the activity of the lactate dehydrogenase enzyme.
Aymeric
Hello,

Many diseases are characterized by the presence of lactic acidosis, with lowered blood pH supposedly due to lactate (as in diabetes for example).
My question is: how is it possible, since lactate coming out of the lactate dehydrogenase from pyruvate is... lactate, not lactic acid. So how does lactic acidosis occur when lactate is already ionized (thus unable to further dissociate and release a proton) when produced?

Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
I don't really know about this, but I'll ask a naive question anyway.

Isn't lactic acidosis a metabolic issue, in the sense that, just because it can form new molecules doesn't mean that components of that molecule are always available in sufficient quantities, and in sufficient time, to prevent build up?

I'm thinking of lactate build up when you get a cramp, because processes are happening faster than the body can compensate, though it eventually catches up.

Aymeric said:
Many diseases are characterized by the presence of lactic acidosis, with lowered blood pH supposedly due to lactate (as in diabetes for example).
My question is: how is it possible, since lactate coming out of the lactate dehydrogenase from pyruvate is... lactate, not lactic acid. So how does lactic acidosis occur when lactate is already ionized (thus unable to further dissociate and release a proton) when produced?
Glycolysis and the anaerobic fermentation with the LDH enzymes takes place in the cytoplasm of for example muscles cells, not in the blood. Lactic acid is the end product and a waste that needs to be transported out of the cell. This is however transported via blood stream transport system to the liver and or kidneys? i am not sure about those details though. There is probably some medical expert here that knows. The cytoplasm and the blood stream are two different buffering systems. Whenever too much lactate is produced fast due to anaerobic energy production or when due to other diseases the system for cleaning up the excess lactate dysfunctions blood pH may drop?

I do not know about alll diseases that influence blood pH but while overproduction of lactate may seem one cause, i think many disease are also due to problems in clearing the lactate from the blood stream fast enough. That latter part has nothing todo with anaerobic fermentation per see, it has more i supposed to do with the clerance system in other organs? liver? kidney? Yeast cells have no kidneys so i never thought about that part before ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactate_shuttle_hypothesis

/Fredrik

1. What is lactic acidosis?

Lactic acidosis is a condition in which there is an abnormal buildup of lactic acid in the body. Lactic acid is a byproduct of the breakdown of glucose for energy, and it is usually cleared from the body by the liver. However, in lactic acidosis, the body produces too much lactic acid or cannot get rid of it quickly enough, leading to a buildup in the blood.

2. What are the symptoms of lactic acidosis?

The symptoms of lactic acidosis can vary depending on the underlying cause, but some common signs and symptoms include weakness, fatigue, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, rapid breathing, and confusion. In severe cases, it can also lead to shock or coma.

3. What causes lactic acidosis?

Lactic acidosis can be caused by a variety of factors, such as certain medications (e.g. metformin), liver disease, kidney disease, severe infections, and heart failure. It can also be a result of intense exercise or low oxygen levels in the body, such as in cases of severe lung disease or carbon monoxide poisoning.

4. How is lactic acidosis diagnosed?

Lactic acidosis can be diagnosed through a physical examination, blood tests, and imaging tests such as a CT scan or MRI. The doctor may also order tests to determine the underlying cause of the condition, such as liver or kidney function tests.

5. How is lactic acidosis treated?

The treatment for lactic acidosis depends on the underlying cause. In some cases, simply treating the underlying condition can help resolve the lactic acidosis. Other treatments may include intravenous fluids and medications to help remove excess lactic acid from the body. In severe cases, dialysis may be necessary to help remove lactic acid from the blood.