1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian classical action for particle with constant force

1. Feb 23, 2014 #1

micole

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    for particle with lagrangian L = m/2 dx/dt^2 + fx where x is constant force, what is ScL (classical action)

2. Relevant equations
    d/dt (∂L/∂(dx/dt)) = ∂L/∂x
    ScL = ∫m/2 dx/dt^2 + fx dt from ti to tf

3. The attempt at a solution
    d/dt (∂L/∂(dx/dt)) = ∂L/∂x implies f = md2x/dt2 (f = ma)

on aside, from this you can calculate the familiar equations
    dx/dt (t) = f/m(t) + dx/dt(0) or v(t) = at + v0
    x(t) = 1/2 f/m t^2 + dx/dt(0) t + x(0)

Question: is it helpful to define ti as zero so Xi = x(ti) = X(0) = 0? And if I do this, is my
    solution generalizable? I think yes

Scl = ∫m/2 dx/dt^2 + fx dt
    for ∫m/2 dx/dt^2 I integrate by parts with
    u =dx/dt --> du = (d2x/dt2) dt
    and
    dv = dx/dt dt --> v = x

Scl = m/2 (dx/dt)(x) from ti to tf -m/2∫fx dt + ∫fx dt
    Scl = m/2 {(xf )(f/m tf +dx/dt(0)) - xi(f/m ti + dx/dt(0))} + m/2 ∫fx dt
    where xi(f/m ti + dx/dt(0)) goes away if its okay to set xi = x(0) = 0

so potentially im left with
    Scl = m/2 (xf )(f/m tf +dx/dt(0)) + fm/2 ∫x dt
    I have X as a function of t so i can integrate the right hand term ( ∫x dt) but I end up with a big equation thats a function with terms t^3/3 and many other terms. Most of the solutions to these problems have ended up simple and elegant so im assuming im either making an error or there is a slick math trick that simplifies by function of ti, tf and xf, xi into something lovely.
    Thats the part i would like help on please

Thanks very much in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2014 #2

micole

Gold Member

Someone please help (; 67 views and no replies! It's lonely

4. Feb 24, 2014 #3

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, the action is just the time integral of the Lagrangian over the time interval that is being considered:

##S=\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}L(t)dt=\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\left[\frac{m}{2}\left(\frac{dx(t)}{dt}\right)^{2}+Fx(t)\right]dt##, where ##F## is the constant force.

As it's basic physics that the trajectory of the particle is ##x(t)=x_{0}+v_{0}t+\frac{F}{2m}t^{2}##, it's easy to calculate the integral provided that the force ##F##, the initial position and velocity ##x_{0},v_{0}## and the time interval ##[t_{1},t_{2}]## are known.

5. Feb 25, 2014 #4

micole

Gold Member

Thanks hilbert. None of those are known. If you take a look at my work you see that what we are being asked is to simplify this integral from a long function of t (as you and I both indicate, it's basic physics to write x as a function of t) into a succinct statement. The point is not to substitute numbers (see final paragraph of my question)
    Thanks for any help

6. Feb 25, 2014 #5

micole

Gold Member

And I see an error in my statement. The coefficient of integral of Fx is (2-m)/2, not m/2

7. Feb 25, 2014 #6

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How is that possible? You are subtracting a dimensional quantity ##m## from a bare number ##2##.

I'm not sure how the integral ##\int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}}\left[\frac{m}{2}\left(\frac{dx(t)}{dt}\right)^{2}+Fx(t)\right]dt## could be simplified without solving for ##x(t)## with the initial conditions ##x_{0}##, ##v_{0}## known. Integration by parts doesn't seem to help.

8. Feb 25, 2014 #7

micole

Gold Member

Me neither, exactly my question

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  9. Feb 25, 2014 #8
    Hi.
    Is this the exact problem statement? It doesn't suggest that you should get a particularly succinct (or enlightening) result... You are given a specific potential, so you're indeed supposed to solve for x(t) in terms of a (= the constant acceleration f/m), v0 and x0, then integrate.
    You can always make abbreviations like L[x(t0)] in your final result, but you'll always get something with at least four terms and no immediate connection to something familiar.

The thing is, this kind of Lagrangian is defined as L = T – V, where T and V are determined by your choice of coordinates; then it's the principle of least action that gives you the familiar equations of motion upon varying S and you would be going in circles by trying to get something edifying from S. It's just what it's supposed to be: its specific form may look uneventful but that's just how things are sometimes... :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted