1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian for a charged particle in a magnetic field

1. Oct 9, 2007 #1
    Hey I have a question that was almost completely answered in this thread:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=116098

Specifically someone interpreted his question to be how exactly do you get that
    the term in the Lagrangian corresponding to the magnetic potential is

[tex]-q\vec{v}\cdot\vec{A}[/tex]

Sadly, I had already worked up to the second to last line prior to his post, and I'm not clear
    on what happened at that point. I would assume he added in [tex]\partial \phi/\partial x[/tex] because the electric potential is zero and that expression will look more like the typical [tex]E_x[/tex] that you see. The part that loses me though is how did he turn the term

[tex]\dot{x}\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial x}+\dot{y}\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial x}+\dot{z}\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial x}[/tex] into [tex]\dot{y}(\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial y})+\dot{z}(\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial z})[/tex]

Just from the looks of things it might be that:
    [tex]\dot{x}\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial x} + \dot{y}\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial y} + \dot{z}\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial z} = 0[/tex]

I don't really see why that should be true, so is there another way he could have done that, or what is the reasoning behind that equation? Also, sorry in advance. I did take a look at Jackson but he jumps into some relativistic stuff that I'm not ready for right now and we don't have a copy of Franklin in our library.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2
    It's explained in the book: "The Classical Theory of Fields" by Landau and Lifschitz.

4. Oct 9, 2007 #3

clem

Science Advisor

[tex]
    m\frac{d{\vec v}}{dt}=
    q[-\nabla\phi-\partial_t{\vec A}+{\vec v}\times(\nabla\times{\vec A})]
    = q[-\nabla\phi-\partial_t{\vec A}-({\vec v}\dot\nabla){\vec A}
    +\nabla({\vec v}\cdot{\vec A})]
    =\nabla[-q\phi+q{\vec v}\cdot{\vec A}]-q\frac{d{\vec A}}{dt}.
    [/tex]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  5. Oct 9, 2007 #4
    Alright thanks. It looks like my problem happened here:

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}(m\dot{x}+qA_x)=q\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\dot{x}A_x+\dot{y}A_y+\dot{z}A_z)[/tex]

when I assumed that you could take that derivative of [tex]A_x[/tex] with respect to time partially. If I had taken a total derivative I'd have seen instead:

[tex]m\ddot{x}+q\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t} + q(\dot{x}\partial_x A_x + \dot{y}\partial_y A_x + \dot{z} \partial_z A_x) =q(\dot{x}\partial_x A_x +\dot{y}\partial_x A_y+\dot{z}\partial_z A_z)[/tex]

and that gives me what I was hoping for:

[tex]m \ddot{x}=-q\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial t}+q[\dot{y}(\frac{\partial A_y}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial y})+\dot{z}(\frac{\partial A_z}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial A_x}{\partial z})]=qE_x+q(\dot{y}B_z-\dot{z}B_y)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?