1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian multiplier question

1. Jul 17, 2011 #1
    So I have to find the min and max values of f(x,y,z) = x^4 + y^4 + z^ 4 given the constraint x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1. I've found the points (+-1/sqrt(3),1/sqrt(3) ,1/sqrt(3)), (+-1/sqrt(3),-1/sqrt(3) ,1/sqrt(3)) ... etc all of which have the f-value of 1/3 when x =/= 0 & y =/= 0 & z =/= 0 (this will probably turn out to be the min?)

My issue is the case when one value is zero and the other two are nonzero. I have 4x^3 = 2Lx (I'm using L for lambda here), then 2x^3 - Lx = 0, x(2x^2 - L) = 0....L = +-1/sqrt(2). From there, I have 2y^2 = L = 1/sqrt(2), y^2 = 1/2sqrt(2), and I'm not sure where to go from there for this case.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know how you found those points; they do not follow from the Lagrange conditions. For Lagrangian L = x^4 + y^4 + z^4 + u*(x^2 + y^2 + z^2 -1) [using u as the Lagrange multiplier and L as the Lagrangian] the conditions dL/dx = dL/dy = dL/dz = 0 give 2x - 2ux = 0, 2y - 2uy = 0, 2z - 2uz = 0. Thus, when x,y,z =/= 0 we have u = -1, and we have NO other conditions except g = 0. Although the Lagrange multiplier rule does hold at a max or min in this case (because the constraint qualification always holds), it gives no information. Instead, you can look at x1 = x^2, x2 = y^2, x3 = z^2 to get the problem max/min x1^2 + x2^2 + x3^2, subject to x1 + x2 + x3 = 1 and x1, x2, x3 >= 0. Using the Karush-Kuhn-Tucker conditions we find that x1 = x2 = x3 = 1/2 is the min, and that there are three maxima: (x1 = 0, x2 = x3 = 1/2) and permutations of this. Of course, now you can take square roots to get x, y and z.

RGV

4. Jul 17, 2011 #3
    Isn't <4x^3, 4y^3, 4z^3> = u<2x, 2y, 2z>?

5. Jul 18, 2011 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Of course. Sorry: I really screwed that one up (I mistakenly wrote the Lagrangian for the problem of max/min x^2 + y^2 + z^2, subject to x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1, and of course I got no solution!). For Lagrangian L = x^4 + y^4 + z^4 + u*(x^2 + y^2 + z^2 - 1) the actual equations are 4x^3 + 2ux = 0, etc, so the solution is either: Case(1) x = 1, y = z = 0, u = -2 (and permutations thereof, or a sign change on x); Case(2) x = y = 1/sqrt(2), z = 0, u = -1 (and permutations, or sign changes on each x,y,z variable separately); Case(3) x = y = z = 1/sqrt(3) , u = -2/3 (or sign changes on each x,y,z variable separately). We have f(Case1) > f(Case2) > f(case(3). Second order tests show that Case(1) is a strict local max, Case(3) is a strict local min and Case(2) is neither. (Here, we look at the projection of the Hessian of the *Lagrangian* on the tangent subspace of the constraint and test for positive or negative definiteness therein.)

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook