1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian of a Force Law, with magnetic monopole

1. May 11, 2009 #1
    We know the covariant Lagrangian of the Lorentz force law. However, in presence of a magnetic monopole, one must add another term to the force law. This term, of course is the Dual Field Tensor, along with the magnetic charge 'g' as follows -

[tex]m \frac{d^2 x^{\mu}}{d {\tau}^2} = \frac{e}{c}F^{\mu \nu} \frac{d x_{\nu}}{d \tau} + \frac{g}{c}G^{\mu \nu} \frac{d x_{\nu}}{d \tau}[/tex]

Where G is the dual field tensor

Could anyone help me with writing the Lagrangian that gives rise to this equation?
    Here is what I have tried till now.

1. Solve the original Lagrangian, get the equation of motion. Add the additional term, of G, and work backwards. However, I have realised that the required relation between A (potential) and a (dual potential, if I can call it that) is non-linear and non-local.

[tex] G^{ \mu \nu } = \partial_{\mu} a_{\nu} - \partial_{\nu} a_{\mu} [/tex]

2. So i tried hit and trial, wrote down, using covariance, symmetry, and dimensions as my guides, several possible Lagrangians, and got the corresponding equation of motion, hoping to give the one that i want.

However, I have been unlucky so far. Have been working on it for several hours.

Can such a Lagrangian be written down explicitly in terms of A and a??

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2009 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Have you tried adding additional terms to the regular Lagrangian which take the same form as the known terms, but using magnetic charge/current/potential instead of their electric counterparts? e.g. there's a term [tex]J^{\mu}A_{\mu}[/tex], so try adding [tex]j^{\mu}a_{\mu}[/tex] where j is magnetic 4-current. That's the first thing I would try.

4. May 11, 2009 #3
    no u misunderstood my question. The lagrangian you are talking about will give the Maxwell's Equations. I am not looking for that. I solved that.

What I am looking for is the Lagrangian which will tell me how a magnetic monopole interacts with electric and magnetic fields. I know from texts that the force law for a magnetic monopole is given by the equation as I have written. I want to arrive at a Lagrangian given the force law.

The non-magnetic monopole Lagrangian ( Action) which I am looking to modify is

Integral of [tex] -mc ds - e/c A_{\mu} d x^{\mu}[/tex]

I cannot add terms like magnetic 4-current, because that tells me how charge produces fields.

Also, [tex] a_{\mu} [/tex] hasn't been defined yet. I am yet to calculate a in terms of A, which as I mentioned is non-linear, and non-local. This is what is causing issues

And yes, I am trying to modify th eregular Lagrangian only, but nothing yet :(

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook