Lagrangian of three bodies, using an exponential potential

In summary,-L is the kinetic energy of the points on a line-T is the potential energy of the points on a line-V is the kinetic energy of the points after they have interacted-x' is the new potential energy of the points
jbay
What I know:
L = T - V
V = e^(x1-x2) + e^(x2-x3) for n = 3 and a mass = 1

What I believe:
T = .5Ʃ (x'_i)^2 from 1 to n

So let's say you have three bodys that can just be considered pints masses of 1 and on the same line:

x1 x2 x3
They have an exponential potential. What is L?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you think you should also consider interaction between 1 and 3.By the way,this is most suited in homework section.

Not necessarily. He said they are points on a line. So the interaction might be pair-wise. Think masses connected by springs, but with a different potential.

jbay, if you take them to be unit mass, yes, that's correct expression for kinetic energy. So if your potential energy is correct, then you have your Lagrangian.

what about something like force field in which there will be an interaction between 1 and 3,but it is not clear from context given.

So I do not need to account for the interaction of 1 and 3 in V. Also great now my only problem is what is x'? Can I integrate V to get it since the e"s are basically acceleration?

We don't know if you need to account for interaction between 1 and 3, because you didn't state the problem clearly enough to deduce that. What kind of interaction are you looking at? Is it pair-wise only between neighbors? Is it a global interaction? You need to define that.

You find your x' after you solve equations of motion. You have the Lagrangian, so you know that your equations of motion will be these.

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{x}_i} - \frac{\partial L}{\partial x_i} = 0[/tex]

Write it out. It will give you a system of 3 partial differential equations. If they separate out nicely, you might be able to solve them to find x(t).

But how would you do the d/dt portion if there is no t.

It's a total derivative, not a partial one.

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}f(x, \dot{x}) = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{x}}\frac{d\dot{x}}{dt} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\dot{x} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial \dot{x}}\ddot{x}[/tex]

jbay said:
But how would you do the d/dt portion if there is no t.
since lagrangian does not contaib explicit time dependence,it means energy is conserved.

1. What is the Lagrangian of three bodies in an exponential potential?

The Lagrangian of three bodies in an exponential potential is a mathematical expression that describes the motion of three objects under the influence of an exponential potential. It takes into account the positions, velocities, and masses of the three bodies, as well as the characteristics of the potential function.

2. How is the Lagrangian of three bodies derived from the exponential potential?

The Lagrangian of three bodies is derived using the principles of Lagrangian mechanics, which is a mathematical framework for analyzing the motion of systems. The potential energy of the three bodies is described by an exponential function, and the Lagrangian is then derived by considering the kinetic energy and constraints of the system.

3. What is the significance of using an exponential potential in the Lagrangian of three bodies?

The exponential potential is often used to model the gravitational interaction between three bodies, as it takes into account the fact that the force of gravity decreases exponentially with distance. This potential allows for a more accurate description of the motion of the three bodies compared to simpler potential functions.

4. How is the Lagrangian of three bodies used in practical applications?

The Lagrangian of three bodies can be used to predict the future positions and velocities of the three bodies at any given time, as well as to analyze the stability of their orbits. It is also used in celestial mechanics to study the motion of planets, moons, and other celestial objects.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Lagrangian of three bodies with an exponential potential?

While the Lagrangian of three bodies with an exponential potential is a powerful tool for studying the motion of three objects, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the three bodies are point masses, and it does not take into account any external forces or perturbations that may affect the system. Additionally, it may not be applicable in cases where the exponential potential does not accurately describe the interaction between the bodies, such as in systems with strong tidal forces.