Landau Series: Mechanics, QM & Fields - Experiences?

In summary, the speaker is seeking feedback on the book "Mechanics" by Landau, recommended by their Classical Mechanics professor. They are also interested in knowing about the other books in the series, particularly those on Quantum Mechanics and fields. Another person responds that these books are excellent, with deep insights, but may be too condensed and difficult for an introduction to the subject. They also mention that Landau did not write most of the books in the series.
Kalimaa23
I posted this in the Classical Physics subforum, but as few people actually visit that I'll repost it here.

I recently ordered "Mechanics", by Landau. It was recommened by my Classical Mechanics professor, and I was wondering whether any of you had experience with it.

As a second question, what are the other books in the series like? I'm particulary interested in the volumes on QM en fields, so any feedback would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
These are the best books you will find. They contain wonderful physics and extremely deep insights. However, usually they are too condensed and difficult for the introduction to the subject. You can read them over and over again and they are a very good reference. Statistical physics, Quantum mechanics and Theory of Fields are really great. Most of the books were not written by Landau, though.

1. What is the Landau series?

The Landau series is a set of mathematical techniques developed by Soviet physicist Lev Landau for solving problems in classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, and field theory. It is based on the idea of expanding a function in a power series and using the coefficients to solve for the behavior of the system.

2. How is the Landau series used in mechanics?

In mechanics, the Landau series is used to solve problems involving the motion of particles and systems under the influence of forces. It allows for the calculation of the trajectory, energy, and other properties of a system by expanding the equations of motion in a power series and solving for the coefficients.

3. What is the relationship between the Landau series and quantum mechanics?

The Landau series is used in quantum mechanics to solve for the energy spectrum and wave functions of a quantum system. It is particularly useful for systems with a small number of particles or for perturbation theory calculations.

4. Can the Landau series be applied to field theory?

Yes, the Landau series can be applied to field theory, specifically in the study of classical and quantum fields. It allows for the calculation of the dynamics and properties of fields in various physical systems, such as in electromagnetism and quantum field theories.

5. What are some applications of the Landau series in research?

The Landau series has been widely used in various areas of physics research, including condensed matter physics, atomic and molecular physics, and nuclear physics. It has also been applied to problems in astrophysics and cosmology. Additionally, the Landau series has been used in theoretical studies of phase transitions, critical phenomena, and other complex phenomena in physical systems.