Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Landlord's workers Entered my Apt. Without Express Consent

1. Jul 20, 2016 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi all,
    I found out today some workers, employed by my landlord , had entered my apartment . I had not recently, actually never, given " open consent" for them to do this, i.e., to enter my apartment without my express consent. I had , on occasions they requested my permission, granted them access _ while I was present in my apartment_. Landlord's admin people had sent a bulk email
    ( where I was Bcc'd ) explaining the work to be done (nowhere stated as an emergency) , together with the need for the workers to enter a specific set of apartments. Still, I was never expressly, specifically, asked to give them access, let alone enter the apartment without my consent. They only stated that my presence would not be needed and that management would grant access. Isn't this grossly illegal ? In case it matters, I live in NYC.
    I am reading up on local tenant rights; still, I would appreciate your input.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2016 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Read your lease. My recollection is that it is legal.

4. Jul 20, 2016 #3

Evo

That's all that is needed, they just need to give you notice that they will be working in your apartment, and usually ask that you have pets put away. You do not have to give consent, and you do not need to be there. I do not believe that you can legally refuse.

My lease specifies that they will give 24 hours notice for non-emergency work, but they were delivering notices after 3pm for access at 8am the next day so I got after them, I told them if this was something they scheduled like spraying for bugs, it should be no surprise to them and less than 24 hour notice was unacceptable. They now make sure that we get at least 24 hours.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  5. Jul 20, 2016 #4

MarneMath

Education Advisor

I'm a landlord. My renters agreement has a clause that allows me to enter your dwelling based on a 24 hour notice or upon an emergency. I imagine your landlord has that too. It makes life easier for most everyone. I'm sure you don't want to hang out from the hours of 1-4 waiting for an exterminator to show up for only 30 minutes.

6. Jul 20, 2016 #5
    My landlord informed me recently that workers would be coming to update the fire alarm sensors.
    As a result I got up earlier than usual on the day they were supposedly arriving and cancelled some other arrangements.
    Then they didn't arrive, but at least I now have got from the landlord an actual plan for a day and time of day to be expecting them.

7. Jul 22, 2016 #6

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Yes, it's likely legal. In my state, landlords can move in with you. I've heard of it happening when people have lapsed on their rent (it takes near 6 months to have a person legally removed for not paying rent). I would still be pissed though, that does seem violating. What if someone stole something? They shouldn't be privy to walk in when private things are going on. I would look into what you can do to prevent it from happening again. Maybe make your landlord help you list every single item in your home to place on their renters insurance? Find a loophole.

8. Jul 24, 2016 #7
    Get a guard dog and watch if they'll enter again without a notice :DD

9. Jul 24, 2016 #8
    Haha, I love that. You get a deadbeat renter and the landlord says, OK, I just deputized "Bubba" as an employee of the property management agency and he's moving in with you for the next 6 months :oldtongue:

10. Jul 24, 2016 #9

jtbell

You must have a really nice place if your landlord wants to move in with you! :cool:

11. Jul 24, 2016 #10

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

It was probably considered real nice back in 1910 (it is at least that old). My Husband rebuilt the kitchen for me 2 years ago, I regret not taking pictures of the large jagged stones we found haphazardly stacked on each other- they still serve as main support for much of the house. I thought it was incredible to see. If you like 'odd' people that have an unusual combination of interests, then you might consider it nice. Most are like :wideeyed:. The cable guy blushed and kept his head averted from the ceiling when he went into my bedroom to install a new DVR box a few weeks ago...

12. Jul 24, 2016 #11
    Was that because of all your bondage toys scattered about the floor? :redface:

13. Jul 24, 2016 #12
    More likely some very clever bit of indoor gardening within the bedroom cupboard.

14. Jul 24, 2016 #13

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

Read it again... :smile:

Always so funny...

15. Jul 24, 2016 #14
    Ok, sorry, I mis-read it as "he kept his head averting to the ceiling" instead of from the ceiling. My mistake :oldbiggrin:

16. Jul 27, 2016 #15

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's part of what worries me, I don't want to have something disappear , or not be able to find it, or find something broken and then start blaming the workers that came in, without much solid basis for it.

17. Jul 27, 2016 #16

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

In the case of theft, this link states that your possessions are likely not covered under your landlords insurance policy! I don't see how a landlord could be comfortable letting workers into the tenants home when they cannot cover the loss. You would have to take out your own renter's insurance on belongings! It may be a good idea to place one of those motion sensor cameras by the entrance inside your home, that way, if you have to file a police report, then there will be more evidence against burglars or workers! These cameras are inexpensive ($20+) and some can stream to a cell-phone when you are out. I don't see a legal loophole for preventing them entering without your knowledge.

18. Jul 27, 2016 #17

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At one time I had an extension cord go missing. It was there when I moved in and I assumed it was left by the landlord. Never ever in the four years that I lived there did the cord turn up after that. It probably disappeared within the first 4 months that I lived there. Shortly before moving out I was questioned about what I had done with a certain area rug. I said that I had rolled it up and it was in a closet as I didn't wish to use that particular rug. The landlord claimed that I knew they were going in one time and this is how they found out about the area rug. I have to wonder how many time I was 'violated' in those four years. Not once did anyone ever give me notice that they were coming in the time that I lived there.

19. Jul 27, 2016 #18

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have not found any motion-sensing cameras for less than around $60.

20. Jul 27, 2016 #19

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

$20. Not that I would expect the greatest quality, but might be worth trying out if you are living on a budget.

21. Jul 27, 2016 #20
    If it is not written on the contract that they must ask for consent or notify, then they don't. I won't bore you with my stories, even though you'd probably laugh.
    I was thinking the same.
    I wasn't aware of that. Nice to know. As a side note, that reminds me of this: :biggrin:
    53f2740fe0027c1de0674ac03130d19f.jpg

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted