Laplace equations w/ discont. forcing functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving Laplace equations with discontinuous forcing function. The solution involves using partial fraction decomposition and taking the inverse Laplace transform. However, an algebra mistake was made in the process, resulting in an incorrect final answer.
cdotter

Homework Statement

[tex]y'' + 3y' + 2y = u_2(t); y(0)=0, y'(0)=1[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]L\{u_c(t)h(t-c)\}=e^{-cs}H(s)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've actually tried two laplace equation with discontinuous forcing function problems. I get answers somewhat close to the back of the book, but still off. Maybe I'm making a dumb algebra mistake? Could someone check my work over?

[tex]
\begin{aligned}
& L\{f(t)\}(s^2+3s+2)-1=\frac{e^{-2s}}{s}\\
& L\{f(t)\}=\frac{1+e^{-2s}}{(s)(s^2+3s+2)}
\end{aligned}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{aligned}
f(t) & =L^{-1}\{\frac{1}{(s)(s^2+3s+2)}\} + L^{-1}\{\frac{e^{-2s}}{(s)(s^2+3s+2)}\} \\
f(t) & =L^{-1}\{\frac{1}{(s)(s^2+3s+2)}\} + u_2(t)h(t-2)
\end{aligned}
[/tex]

Where [tex]H(s) = \{\frac{1}{(s)(s^2+3s+2)}\}[/tex]

Partial fraction decomposition:
[tex]
L^{-1}\{\frac{1}{(s)(s^2+3s+2)}\} = L^{-1}\{\frac{1/2}{s}\} - L^{-1}\{\frac{1}{s+1}\} + L^{-1}\{\frac{1/2}{s+2}\}[/tex]

[tex]
\Rightarrow f(t) = \frac{1}{2} - e^{-t} + \frac{e^{-2t}}{2} + u^2(t)h(t-2)[/tex]

Where [tex]h(t)= \frac{1}{2} - e^{-t} + \frac{e^{-2t}}{2}[/tex]

My book gives the answer as:

[tex]f(t)=e^{-t}-e^{-2t}+u_2(t)h(t-2)[/tex] where

[tex]h(t)= \frac{1}{2} - e^{-t} + \frac{e^{-2t}}{2}[/tex]

Any ideas where I messed up? :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry about editing the post so many times, I'm still figuring out MathJax.

You made an algebra mistake when you moved the 1 from the LHS to the RHS. The numerator should end up as s+e-2s.

vela said:
You made an algebra mistake when you moved the 1 from the LHS to the RHS. The numerator should end up as s+e-2s.

Thank you! I make the dumbest mistakes. :grumpy:

What is a Laplace equation?

A Laplace equation is a type of partial differential equation that describes the relationship between a function's second derivatives with respect to multiple variables. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model phenomena such as heat diffusion and electrical potential.

What does it mean for a forcing function to be discontinuous?

A discontinuous forcing function is one that is not defined or has a sudden change in value at a specific point or interval. This can result in a non-smooth solution to the Laplace equation and may require special techniques to solve.

How do you solve a Laplace equation with discontinuous forcing functions?

There are various techniques for solving Laplace equations with discontinuous forcing functions, depending on the specific problem. One approach is to use the method of separation of variables, where the solution is written as a product of single-variable functions. Another method is to use the Laplace transform, which transforms the differential equation into an algebraic equation that can be solved using inverse Laplace transforms.

What are some real-life applications of Laplace equations with discontinuous forcing functions?

Laplace equations with discontinuous forcing functions have many applications in physics and engineering. For example, they can be used to model heat transfer in materials with varying properties, such as in composite materials. They are also used in electrical engineering to model the behavior of circuits with non-constant voltages or currents.

How do Laplace equations with discontinuous forcing functions differ from regular Laplace equations?

The main difference between Laplace equations with discontinuous forcing functions and regular Laplace equations is the presence of a discontinuous function in the forcing term. This can make the solution more complex and may require additional techniques for solving. Regular Laplace equations often have smooth, continuous forcing functions, making them easier to solve.