Finding the Potential Between Two Coaxial Cylinders Using Laplace's Equation

In summary, the problem involves finding the potential between two coaxial cylinders with radii a and b, where b>a. The boundary conditions are V(a,φ) = 2 cosφ and V(b,φ) = 12 sinφ. The solution by separation of variables is V(r,φ) = a0 + b0 ln s + ∑k [rk (ak coskφ + bk sinkφ) + r^-k (ck coskφ + dk sinkφ)]. However, since the origin is not between the two cylinders, the r^-k term cannot be eliminated. It is determined that only the k=1 term is required for the solution, which gives V(r,φ) = r(a1
cscott

Homework Statement

Two coaxial cylinders, radii [itex]{a,b}[/itex] where [itex]b>a[/itex]. Find the potential between the two cylinder surfaces.

Boundary conditions:
[tex]V(a,\phi) = 2 \cos \phi[/tex]
[tex]V(b,\phi) = 12 \sin \phi[/tex]

Homework Equations

Solution by separation of variables:
[tex]V(r,\phi) = a_0 + b_0 \ln s + \sum_k \left[ r^k(a_k \cos k\phi + b_k \sin k\phi)+r^{-k}(c_k\cos k\phi + d_k \sin k\phi)\right][/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think I can eliminate the [itex]r^{-k}[/itex] term because the origin isn't between the two cylinders.

I think [itex]k=1[/itex] is the only term in the summation that is required for the solution.

[tex]V(r,\phi) = r(a_1 \cos \phi + b_1 \sin \phi)+\frac{1}{r}(c_1\cos \phi + d_1 \sin \phi)[/tex]

I don't see how to have the cosines vanish for [itex]V(b)[/itex] and sines vanish for [itex]V(a)[/itex] because of the common [itex]k[/itex] in both.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should actually write down the boundary conditions for [tex]k=1[/tex]. There are nontrivial solutions.

I made a typo in my boundary conditions

Boundary conditions (in volts):
[tex]V(a,\phi) = 2 \cos \phi[/tex]
[tex]V(b,\phi) = 12 \sin \phi[/tex]Taking [itex]V(r,\phi)_{k=1}[/itex] gives,
[tex]V(r,\phi) = r(a_1 \cos \phi + b_1 \sin \phi)+\frac{1}{r}(c_1\cos \phi + d_1 \sin \phi)[/tex]

I will take a look at this...

1. What is Laplace in Cylindrical coordinates?

Laplace in Cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical tool used in the study of electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and other scientific fields. It is a method of solving problems in which cylindrical coordinates are used instead of Cartesian coordinates.

2. How is Laplace in Cylindrical coordinates different from Laplace in Cartesian coordinates?

In Laplace in Cylindrical coordinates, the equations are solved in terms of r, θ, and z coordinates, while in Laplace in Cartesian coordinates, the equations are solved in terms of x, y, and z coordinates. Cylindrical coordinates are often used for problems with cylindrical symmetry, while Cartesian coordinates are used for more general problems.

3. What is the Laplace equation in Cylindrical coordinates?

The Laplace equation in Cylindrical coordinates is a partial differential equation that represents the relationship between the Laplacian of a function and its derivatives with respect to r, θ, and z coordinates. It is given by ∇²u = 0, where u is the function and ∇² is the Laplacian operator.

4. How is Laplace in Cylindrical coordinates applied in the study of electromagnetism?

Laplace in Cylindrical coordinates is used to solve problems involving the electric and magnetic fields in cylindrical structures, such as wires, cylinders, and coils. It allows for a more efficient and accurate solution to these problems compared to using Cartesian coordinates.

5. What are some limitations of using Laplace in Cylindrical coordinates?

One limitation of using Laplace in Cylindrical coordinates is that it can only be applied to problems with cylindrical symmetry. If the problem does not have this symmetry, then it may be more appropriate to use other coordinate systems, such as Cartesian or spherical coordinates. Additionally, the equations can become more complex and difficult to solve as the geometry of the problem becomes more complicated.