1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace-Runge-Lenz Vector for Magnetic Monopole

1. Oct 17, 2011 #1
    This is related to Goldstein Exercise 3-28. It is not really a homework problem anymore because I have solved them. But there's something bugging me so I shall post here instead of under homework problem. The Exercise reads:

A magnetic monopole has magnetic monopole B = br/r^3 where b is a constant. Suppose a particle of mass m moves in the field of a magnetic monopole and a central force field derived from the potential V(r)=-k/r.
    (a) Show that there is a conserved vector D= L - (qb/c)r/r.
    (b) Show that for some f(r) there is a conserved vector analogous to the Laplace-Runge-Lenz vector in which D plays the same role as L in the pure Kepler force problem.

If you look at http://arxiv.org/abs/nlin/0504018. There is a comment right before Eq.9 where they remarked that "there is no analogue of the integral A (the LRL vector) in the Poincare and Appell problems".

Poincare problem is the pure magnetic charge case without central force (k=0) while Appell problem seems to be the one in Goldstein's exercise [of a particle moving in the field of a Newtonian center and in the field of a magnetic monopole, assuming that the center and the monopole coincide]. So my question is, did I misunderstood this somehow and Goldstein exercise is not really the Appell problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2011 #2
    Ok. I *think* I figured out. In Goldstein's exercise, he is actually asking for something easier, i.e. whether there exists a function f(r) such that dp/dt = f(r)r/r and (d/dt)(p x D) = RHS where RHS can be made into a total derivative. However the Appell problem is requiring that dp/dt has two pieces of contribution, one from Lorentz force due to the monopole and the other Keplerian central force. The piece from Lorentz force in the RHS leads to a term of the form (1/r)(d/dt)(r/r) which cannot be made into a total derivative and so an analog of the Laplace-Runge-Lenz Vector does not exist in this case. I think :rolleyes:.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook