Laplace transformation initial value problem

In summary, the student attempted to solve an IVP but made mistakes. They incorrectly solved for C and then A and B. Finally, they found a solution that involved solving for C again.
quietriot1006

Homework Statement

I need to use the Laplace transformations to solve this IVP

y'-y=2cost(5t) , y(0)=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I separated the question until the point

Y(s)=(2s)/(s^2+25)(s+1)

and then

2s=A(s+1)+B(s^2+25)

I get the answer for B=-(1/13) and i just want to know how to get A and if i am doing it right so far. ASAP would be great. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
quietriot1006 said:

Homework Statement

I need to use the Laplace transformations to solve this IVP

y'-y=2cost(5t) , y(0)=0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I separated the question until the point

Y(s)=(2s)/(s^2+25)(s+1)

and then

2s=A(s+1)+B(s^2+25)
It would be helpful to see your work in how you got to the Y(s) equation. Also, I assume that the (s + 1) factor is in the denominator, but how you wrote it one could reasonable assume it is in the numerator.
For the 2nd equation above, did you separate the rational expression as A/(s^2 + 25) + B/(s + 1)? If so, that's incorrect. The first expression should be (As + B)/(s^2 + 25), and the other C/(s + 1)
quietriot1006 said:
I get the answer for B=-(1/13) and i just want to know how to get A and if i am doing it right so far. ASAP would be great. Thanks.

I messed up the first problem, there is no t after cos. This is how the problem is written.

y'-y=2cos(5t) , y(0)=0

Here is my work from the beginning:
sY(s)-0+Y(s)=(2s)/(s^2+25)

Y(s)=(2s)/((s^2+25)(s+1))

2s=((As+B)(s+1))+(C(s^2+25))

Let s=-1 and then i solve for C which comes out to equal (-1/13). And then I get stuck at A and B. I looked at what you said and you are right and i fixed that but I am still stuck.

Shouldn't you have sY(s)-Y(s)=2s/(s2+25) ?

Yes I should. Because of the minus from the initial problem. Thanks for that one. So
C=(1/13) with no minus sign. What about the rest? What number can I choose for s that will cause (s^2+25) to equal zero and then to get A and B?

try s=0 to get B
then put s=any number to get A

Cool! i think i got it.
y(t)=(-1/13)cos(5t)+(25/13)sin(5t)+(1/13)e^t

Is this right?

1. What is a Laplace transformation initial value problem?

A Laplace transformation initial value problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the solution of a differential equation using the Laplace transform. It involves converting the differential equation into an algebraic equation, solving for the unknown function, and then using an inverse Laplace transform to get the final solution.

2. Why is the Laplace transformation used in initial value problems?

The Laplace transformation is used in initial value problems because it simplifies the solution process. It converts a differential equation, which can be complex and difficult to solve, into an algebraic equation that is easier to manipulate. This makes it a powerful tool for solving differential equations with initial conditions.

3. What are the steps involved in solving a Laplace transformation initial value problem?

The steps involved in solving a Laplace transformation initial value problem are:
1. Take the Laplace transform of both sides of the differential equation.
2. Use algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown function.
3. Take the inverse Laplace transform to get the solution in terms of the original variable.
4. Apply the initial conditions to find the specific solution.

4. What is the difference between a Laplace transformation initial value problem and a boundary value problem?

A Laplace transformation initial value problem involves finding the solution to a differential equation with given initial conditions, while a boundary value problem involves finding the solution to a differential equation with given boundary conditions. In other words, a Laplace transformation initial value problem has conditions at a single point, while a boundary value problem has conditions at multiple points.

5. What are the applications of Laplace transformation initial value problems in science?

Laplace transformation initial value problems are widely used in science and engineering to model and solve real-world problems. They are particularly useful in areas such as electrical engineering, control systems, physics, and mechanics. They are also used in fields like economics and biology to model and analyze various phenomena.