1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laplace Transformation Question

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use Laplace transformations to solve:
    Y''+tY'+2Y=0, Y(0)=0, Y'(0)=1

2. Relevant equations

Y''==>[itex]s^{2}[/itex]y-sY(0)-Y'(0)=[itex]s^{2}[/itex]y-1
    tY'==>-(y+sy')
    2Y==>2y

3. The attempt at a solution

The question felt pretty straightforward till I hit a rock.

[itex]s^{2}[/itex]y-1+y-sy'=0

y'=[itex]\frac{1}{s}[/itex](y([itex]s^{2}[/itex]+1)-1)

My problem is that I cant integrate this because of the -1. What to do? Am I on the right track?

(First time using these forums and symbols so give me a sec to fix them up. Not sure why the S is coming out weird.)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2011 #2
    Hi Applejacks,

I verified your calculations, and I think you are on the right track. The [itex]-1[/itex] does indeed preclude the use of separation of variables to solve the ODE for [itex]y(s)[/itex]. If I put that ODE into Maple I get a complicated expression involving the error function, so it does not look like there's an easy way; maybe you could look up the integral in, for example, Abramowitz and Stegun.

Cheers,
    Kurt

P.S. According to Maple the solution of your ODE with boundary conditions is [tex]Y(t)=t \exp{(-t^2/2)}.[/tex]

4. Oct 8, 2011 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Rearranging terms a little, you get
    [tex]sy' - (s^2+1)y = -1[/tex]which is a first-order differential equation. I'd try solving it using an integrating factor.

5. Oct 8, 2011 #4
    Hi,

Indeed, vela, I had forgotten about that technique. Upon investigation I find that it does not make the problem much easier, however. By using the integrating factor technique, I recast the first-order ODE for [itex]y(s)[/itex] into the following form: [tex]\frac{d}{ds}\left(\frac{1}{s}\exp{\left(-\frac{s^2}{2}\right)}y(s)\right)=-\frac{1}{s}\exp{\left(-\frac{s^2}{2}\right)}.[/tex] Integrating this equation requires integration of the Gaussian function on the right hand side, which leads to an expression involving an error function (in agreement with the Maple output I mentioned earlier).

Cheers,
    Kurt

P.S. That the expression for [itex]y(s)[/itex] contains an error function can also be seen by taking the Laplace transform of the known solution [itex]Y(t)=t\exp(-t^2/2)[/itex] that I posted earlier.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook