Lapsed sci-fi fan, looking for recommendations to get back into it

• Thread starter Orange_Squash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan Sci-fi
In summary, I enjoyed the sci-fi short stories genre, but stuck mainly to the above authors or compilations of that ilk that are hard to come by these days. I've been disappointed by novels and short stories I've bought recently as they just seem to get carried away in overboard descriptions of how different other alien species are to us, and their environment, that the dynamism and 'meat' of the story is lost. Sci-fi to me is usually a study and reflection of human character, when all else is stripped away. John Scalzi's books may be just what you are looking for.
Orange_Squash
As a teenager I ripped through my father's old sci-fi novels - Heinlein, Arthur C Clarke, Asimov, Herbert, Dick amongst others. I'm also a big fan of Douglas Adams but haven't read all of his books yet. I really enjoyed the sci-fi short stories genre, but again stuck mainly to the above authors or compilations of that ilk that are hard to come by these days.

Over the years I've tried to find books with a similar feel but really struggled. The greats were great because they were always human issues juxtaposed with the alien (and I use that work in the sense of foreign) environment, and the future technology always seemed to be used in ways that made sense - the way we as a species seek convenience, even if a little outlandish.

I've been disappointed by novels and short stories I've bought recently as they just seem to get carried away in overboard descriptions of how different other alien species are to us, and their environment, that the dynamism and 'meat' of the story is lost. Sci-fi to me is usually a study and reflection of human character, when all else is stripped away. Is it still like that these days, and if so, can anyone recommend a place to start to rediscover the joy??

Physics news on Phys.org
Orange_Squash said:
Sci-fi to me is usually a study and reflection of human character, when all else is stripped away.
Have you read any of John Scalzi's books? They might be just what you are looking for.

Likes Buzz Bloom, jasonRF and sbrothy
This one is pretty oldschool but you did mention Heinlein. :)

As it's old it's a little naive but a fun ride.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathworld

EDIT: My post #100, yaaaay! :)
EDIT2: My particular reason for suggesting this one is because it was the book that kinda reset my sci-fi expectations after a period of (naively) thinking I'd read all sci-fi worth reading. Sometimes it pays to return to the classics.

Last edited:
Likes Orange_Squash
And some more:
Spider Robinson's Callahan's books
James P Hogan: Martian Knightlife
Ben Bova's Sam Gunn books
Frederick Pohl: The Merchant's War
David Brin's Progenitor series. Start with Startide Rising
Allan Dean Foster: Spellsinger series, Flinx series, Commonwealth series, and more...
Piers Anthony: Prostho Plus
Larry Niven: The Draco Tavern

Likes Orange_Squash
sbrothy said:
This one is pretty oldschool but you did mention Heinlein. :)

As it's old it's a little naive but a fun ride.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deathworld

EDIT: My post #100, yaaaay! :)
EDIT2: My particular reason for suggesting this one is because it was the book that kinda reset my sci-fi expectations after a period of (naively) thinking I'd read all sci-fi worth reading. Sometimes it pays to return to the classics.
Thanks, I'll take a look! Congrats on the 100 :cool:

jrmichler said:
And some more:...
Looks like a meaty list, I'll look them up. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Alastair Reynolds is my favorite SF author, no warp drives, everything is about the implications of interstellar travel at 1G acceleration (the unobtanium is a drive that can maintain this pretty much forever). Pushing Ice or House of Suns are good one-off books along with his Revelation Space series

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson is another good one

Likes Orange_Squash
Orange_Squash said:
I've been disappointed by novels and short stories I've bought recently...
Many feels so (me too), but just keep in mind that with those names you listed before you are comparing more than half a century's best with a few recent years. Not exactly fair :wink:
There was many books from those times which are not remembered anymore (with good reason).

If you prefer characters over the technobabble, then maybe you should try something from Orson Scott Card. Ender's Game is a good start.
Although that book is also over thirty years old already :doh:
Anyway, at least the author is still alive and kicking 😆

Likes Orange_Squash
Perhaps a change of pace is in order? I used to mainly watch Sci Fi for the reasons you mention, but have recently discovered history podcasts. Dan Carlin, in particular is quite good:

https://www.dancarlin.com/

I'm not sure where a new listener should go, since these are massive multi-hour podcasts. But whenever I start one, I get caught up immediately. I suppose anything that says "Part one" is good. They are also on Apple podcasts.

Likes Orange_Squash and BillTre
  1. Peter F. Hamilton, his early work first person and constrained in scope, but later novels are large and expansive
  2. The venerable Iain M. Banks wrote a lot of really interesting, character driven sci-fi
  3. Neal Asher, his early work is very inner-mind oriented, his later have lost that emotional edge and I find them pretty meh, but that's a dozen books in so there's a lot to read before you hit that!
  4. Derek Kunsken, only written a couple of novels so far, but they are crazy heavy with quantum concepts
  5. Joel Shepherd, his Spiral Wars series is terrific, esp. as he avoids 'rinse and repeat' so the next novel is not just a clone of the one before (I'm looking at you Jay Allen. Your Blood on the Stars series really is diabolical for that)
  6. Frank Owen has written two novels, not your classic sci-fi, but I loved the first one, South, it's really inventive
  7. Greg Egan, can be hit and miss but his stories are character driven and science heavy, they often challenge my brain to conceptualize
  8. Cat Sparks has only written one novel that I've read, Lotus Blue, but it's awesome (if expensive in Kindle format!)
  9. And if it's not too much of a PF violation on the basis of self aggrandizement, I've a couple of novels and while they're violent, I do prefer getting under the skin of my characters so I try to be reflective 😅

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Orange_Squash and sbrothy
"...study and reflection of the human character." Perhaps the genre 'space opera' is what you're after. Becky Chambers' book, Long Voyage to an Angry Planet exemplifies the type of story you highlight. In any event, there are lots of new authors writing in this field.

If you want stories about strange psychologies read Jack Vance, specifically the Tschai quartet, The Durdane Trilogy and the Gaean Reach novels.

Likes Orange_Squash
Orange_Squash said:
As a teenager I ripped through my father's old sci-fi novels - Heinlein, Arthur C Clarke, Asimov, Herbert, Dick amongst others.

Maybe it's just a non-representative selection, but it sounds quite US-focused. Have you tried the Eastern Europe classics like Lem, Strugatzky or even Čapek? Something more recent from Western Europe would be Charles Stross.

Likes sbrothy
DrStupid said:
Maybe it's just a non-representative selection, but it sounds quite US-focused. Have you tried the Eastern Europe classics like Lem, Strugatzky or even Čapek? Something more recent from Western Europe would be Charles Stross.

Brian Aldiss

Ursula le Guin

Buzz Bloom said:
Ursula le Guin

Yes. Le Guin is good too, although in the softer department. While we're there let me suggest Julian May's Galactic Milieu Series. I suggest starting with "Intervention". Her scifi loops into fantasy and then back again.

Also, for a short story I keep coming back to, try searching google for "swarm sterling crystal express pdf" and you'll find a free collection of short stories. Although I'm not a complete fan of Sterling's universe the first one - "Swarm" - is pretty cynical.

Regards.

[EDIT: "Loops into", hmm?]

cybernetichero said:
Brian Aldiss

DrStupid said:

Charles Stross, YES! I almost thought that went without saying. His Laundry novels are some of the coolest and funniest novels I've ever read. Although calling it scifi is stretching it a little. Speculative Fiction maybe. But they're definitely worth anyones time. He has a blog too think... "antipope" if memory serves me.

[EDIT: In fact now I think about it I'm actually annoyed I already read them. :)]

Likes Orange_Squash
An that reminds me... to finish this off in the Western European spirit "Peter F. Hamilton" should be mentioned too. Although his novels has a tendency to end in deus ex machina his stories are pretty epic.

Check out his short story "Blessed by an Angel" for a taste of his authorship.

Sorry, can't help it. Since this *is* a physics forum let us see what SFAM has to say about the LHC:

https://amultiverse.com/comic/2015/06/01/large-horse-collider/

Last edited:
Likes Orange_Squash
Since you enjoyed Heinlein, consider reading John Varley's novels and short stories. I glanced through the thread and did not notice Varley included.

His short story anthologies follow a 'future history' collective format, reminiscent of Larry Niven's 'Known Space'. An exotic discovery or cultural shift begun in one story, carries into later stories and novels. Like Asimov, Varley created a recurring detective character, Anna Louise Bach, chief of police Luna City; first seen in short story 'Bagatelle' anthologized in "Picnic on Nearside".

Varley created many strong female lead characters, often more authentic than Heinlein's. In the Gaea trilogy, Titan Wizard Demon, spaceship captain Cirocco Jones satirizes the entire concept of strong female SF character early in "Wizard"; distributing animated comic books depicting Jones and friend Gabby. Their centaur companions carry mixes of human gender identities, a challenge to write.

More recently, my daughter and I enjoyed Varley's 'cajun' series on space exploration including novels "Red Lightning", "Blue Lightning" and related stories. "Golden Globe" thrusts Shakespeare via Grand Guignol out past Oberon and dangerous, dreary Pluto; helped by the smartest dog since Snoopy. "Steel Beach" fleshes out the veteran reporter from 'Globe' with special guest 'Anson Macdonald', sword fighter extraordinaire.

[Edit 20210416: corrected typos. Added names of novels.]

Last edited:
Likes Orange_Squash
Philip Mann's Story of the Gardener series.

Likes Orange_Squash
Klystron said:
Since you enjoyed Heinlein, consider reading John Varley's novels and short stories. I glanced through the thread and did notice Varley included.

His short story anthologies follow a 'future history' collective format, reminiscent of Larry Niven's 'Known Space'. An exotic discovery or cultural shift begun in one story, carries into later stories and novels. Like Asimov, Varley created a recurring detective character, Anna Louise Bach, chief of police Luna City; first seen in short story 'Bagatelle' anthologized in "Picnic on Nearside".

Varley created many strong female lead characters, often more authentic than Heinlein's. In the Gaea trilogy, Titan Wizard Demon, spaceship captain Cirocco Jones satirizes the entire concept of strong female SF character early in "Wizard"; distributing animated comic books depicting Jones and friend Gabby. Their centaur companions carry mixes of human gender identities, a challenge to write.

More recently, my daughter and I enjoyed Varley's 'cajun' series on space exploration. "Golden Globe" thrusts Shakespeare via Grand Guignol out past Oberon and dangerous, dreary Pluto; helped by the smartest dog since Snoopy. "Steel Beach" fleshes out the veteran reporter from 'Globe' with special guest 'Anson Macdonald', sword fighter exraordinaire.

I loved the Ophiuchi Hotline. I want a banana plant that produces wieners (I hate bananas).

• Haha
Likes Klystron
Varley sound interesting. I'll give him a try. Ofcourse, being into physics you surely know Kim Stanley Robinson? :)

Likes Orange_Squash and Klystron
member 656954 said:
  1. Peter F. Hamilton, his early work first person and constrained in scope, but later novels are large and expansive
  2. The venerable Iain M. Banks wrote a lot of really interesting, character driven sci-fi [...]
Oh, you already mentioned those two. I'm sorry I overlooked your post. I had been working too long into the night when I posted my responses. Sometimes I go to this site for answers, sometimes for a break in routine. This must have been one of "those days".
:)

I'll give your "PF violationy" stories a go. :)

Rive said:
[...] If you prefer characters over the technobabble, then maybe you should try something from Orson Scott Card. Ender's Game is a good start.
Although that book is also over thirty years old already :doh:
Anyway, at least the author is still alive and kicking 😆

In these #metoo days I'd hate to be overly sensitive so that's not the reason for this link:

An SFAM view on Orson Scott Card.

I'm not really into the whole #metoo spectacle and I don't know what Rowling and Card did to fuss people off (Something with Jews and being bigots?), I just find SFAM funny. Even if disconnected from reality. I've read OSC and I've enjoyed his books. I guess we're all just human.

He desperately needs a reprint IMO but if you can find any Hal Clement he managed to blend scientific accuracy and good storytelling.

Likes Klystron and Orange_Squash
sbrothy said:
In these #metoo days I'd hate to be overly sensitive so that's not the reason for this link:

An SFAM view on Orson Scott Card.

I'm not really into the whole #metoo spectacle and I don't know what Rowling and Card did to fuss people off (Something with Jews and being bigots?), I just find SFAM funny. Even if disconnected from reality. I've read OSC and I've enjoyed his books. I guess we're all just human.

There's this, but I haven't read him for decades. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orson_Scott_Card#Politics

I tend to roll my eyes at Enders Game and the Hunger Games and a few other stories about child soldiers as being war stories with an SF coating, tropes wise. But then I've only seen them in movie form.
I don't feel motivated to wade through the dead tree house bricks that pass for books these days. Editing is a lost art but that's another story.

Likes sbrothy
I've been disappointed by novels and short stories I've bought recently as they just seem to get carried away in overboard descriptions of how different other alien species are to us said:
See my reply to @sbrothy. Specifically the comment about how editing is a lost art. I don't want to hear about the romance of the third under-footman's great niece unless there is a Chekov's Gun situation later not to mention the law of show, don't tell. That's why I seem to read old writers from the days when the cost of printing was more of a brake on word count than it is today like Heinlein, Jack Vance and Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Likes Orange_Squash
^ It keeps turning my comment into a quote and I don't know how to fix it 😟

A few months late to the thread, one of my favorite Author's is Lindsay Buroker. If you have Amazon Prime, some of the books are free.

Likes Orange_Squash and Klystron
sbrothy said:
Varley sound interesting. I'll give him a try. Ofcourse, being into physics you surely know Kim Stanley Robinson? :)
Yes, I read his Mars stuff a long time ago, but I was perhaps a little too green for it (more interested than the place than the people).

For short stories, the Year's Best collections conscitently have some excellent short and long reads. Get one from a couple different decades to get some nice variety.

AllanR said:
For short stories, the Year's Best collections conscitently have some excellent short and long reads. Get one from a couple different decades to get some nice variety.
Agreed. The best short story SF anthologies employ a gamut of editors who choose authors from different genres including fantasy, adventure, time-travel, space exploration, etc. "The Years Best SF nnnn" anthologies make nice gifts for SF fans who otherwise might not encounter a particular writer.

Orange_Squash said:
[...] I was perhaps a little too green [...]

Heh, funny given the titles of his Mars trilogy, which was also my introduction to his authorship. I've discovered later that he has a very business-like approach to writing. By which I mean: it sort of seems he picks a topic he wants to explore and then let's his imagination rip. It may not always be as successful as intended (I'm looking at you, "Aurora" :) ), but it's almost always refreshing because you know he has a message with everything he does where other authors "just" want to tell a story. Don't get me wrong: both avenues can be interesting. I think wiki makes a point of mentioning him as the only scfi writer exploring alternatives to capitalism. Classical works seem bent on the romance of asteroid "belters" digging up precious metals. I'm sure I'm going to get burned for this one. I'll take suggestions to heart though. :)

1. What are some classic sci-fi books I should read to get back into the genre?

Some classic sci-fi books that are often recommended for getting back into the genre include Dune by Frank Herbert, 1984 by George Orwell, Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, and Foundation by Isaac Asimov.

2. Are there any recent sci-fi movies or TV shows that are good for someone trying to get back into the genre?

Yes, there are many recent sci-fi movies and TV shows that are great for someone looking to get back into the genre. Some popular options include Stranger Things, Black Mirror, Ex Machina, and Arrival.

3. I used to love sci-fi as a kid, but now I find it hard to get into. Any tips for getting back into it?

One tip for getting back into sci-fi is to start with something familiar, such as a beloved childhood book or movie in the genre. This can help ease you back into the world of sci-fi and reignite your interest.

4. Is there a specific sub-genre of sci-fi that you would recommend for someone trying to get back into it?

It really depends on personal preference, but some popular sub-genres of sci-fi that are often recommended for getting back into the genre include dystopian, space opera, and cyberpunk.

5. Are there any sci-fi authors or directors that are known for creating accessible works for new fans?

Yes, there are definitely some sci-fi authors and directors who are known for creating works that are accessible for new fans. Some examples include Joss Whedon, Neil Gaiman, and Philip K. Dick.