Laptops with a punch ?

PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, my old laptop is nearing its expiration date .... need a new one. There is only one criteria ... all around punch, since I do numerical mathematics (PDEs) and 3D modeling. I'm currently considering Dell Precision M60 as the best option .... am I on the right track or are there better laptops / something else I need to consider ?

Answers and Replies

Dell Latitude D800 is also good..

PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dell Latitude D800 is also good..
Yeah, last one of latitude series I've had was C800 I think ... worked fine. I think the major difference between Latitude & Precision is in the display controller ... Precision beating Latitude in this match ... and is actually the primary reason I'm currently going for Precision if nothing else comes up.

anythingh with a Pentium M dothan are good as of now.

I would say that memory is very important if you do 3D modelling. I always recommend people build their computers from scratch rather than buy them from a company like Dell. You end up getting a much better (and more customized to your taste) computer for the money.

I'd say at least 1GB RAM, 2GB if you can afford it.

PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yeah, starting from scratch would be the better way to go in all respects. However, I'm getting a chunk of the costs from my employer which also means I don't in this case want to go the extra mile ... I'll do that from my own pc. 1 Gb in a necessity, I'm taking 2 Gbs, even though the price it adds is quite phenomenal (for example with Dell I think it adds around 2k $ to the nominal price). In my current I have 1 Gb and its not all that difficult to run the system to a stall.

Why not buy the unit with minimal RAM and then add RAM from Crucial or Mushkin?

PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Why not buy the unit with minimal RAM and then add RAM from Crucial or Mushkin?
Sounds like a plan .... since this is a "work - unit" I've typically gone with manufacturer specs to minimize blue screening etc. No real reason not to do as you suggested, however.

That's what I did. I bought my Dell laptop (2+ years ago) with 128MB of RAM at a bargain price and boosted it to 1GB (at the time, a large amount) with Crucial RAM for minimal cost.

Sirus said:
I'd say at least 1GB RAM, 2GB if you can afford it.
lol, wtf?
I use 1GB and I haven't seen a difference than when I had 512, so 1GB would be the best bet.

It is possible that you either had faster ram earlier, changed something else on your PC, or don't do very memory-intensive work. 1GB (1024MB to be exact) is twice as good as 512.

Sirus said:
It is possible that you either had faster ram earlier, changed something else on your PC, or don't do very memory-intensive work. 1GB (1024MB to be exact) is twice as good as 512.
ROFL, I know everything about mem requirments, I run cad all the time.
I am saying, that 1024MB is the perfect amount for now.
My previous was 512MB ddr266(pc2100)2-3-6-6-i, now I use 1024MB ddr333(pc2700)2-2-6-6-16

PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well in my case 1 Gb would probably just do modeling wise .... working further with the models (like solving PDEs in them) is where I can get it pretty easily to reach the max and resort to using virtual.