Laptops for PDEs and 3D Modeling: Finding the Best Option

• Thread starter PerennialII
  • Start date
In summary: For now, even with the extra memory, I haven't had any performance problems.I would say that memory is very important if you do 3D modelling. I always recommend people build their computers from scratch rather than buy them from a company like Dell. You end up getting a much better (and more customized to your taste) computer for the money.In summary, the best laptop for punch is the Dell Precision M60. It is also good the Dell Latitude D800.
PerennialII
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi, my old laptop is nearing its expiration date ... need a new one. There is only one criteria ... all around punch, since I do numerical mathematics (PDEs) and 3D modeling. I'm currently considering Dell Precision M60 as the best option ... am I on the right track or are there better laptops / something else I need to consider ?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Dell Latitude D800 is also good..

Dell Latitude D800 is also good..

Yeah, last one of latitude series I've had was C800 I think ... worked fine. I think the major difference between Latitude & Precision is in the display controller ... Precision beating Latitude in this match ... and is actually the primary reason I'm currently going for Precision if nothing else comes up.

anythingh with a Pentium M dothan are good as of now.

I would say that memory is very important if you do 3D modelling. I always recommend people build their computers from scratch rather than buy them from a company like Dell. You end up getting a much better (and more customized to your taste) computer for the money.

I'd say at least 1GB RAM, 2GB if you can afford it.

Yeah, starting from scratch would be the better way to go in all respects. However, I'm getting a chunk of the costs from my employer which also means I don't in this case want to go the extra mile ... I'll do that from my own pc. 1 Gb in a necessity, I'm taking 2 Gbs, even though the price it adds is quite phenomenal (for example with Dell I think it adds around 2k $ to the nominal price). In my current I have 1 Gb and its not all that difficult to run the system to a stall.

Why not buy the unit with minimal RAM and then add RAM from Crucial or Mushkin?

Why not buy the unit with minimal RAM and then add RAM from Crucial or Mushkin?

Sounds like a plan ... since this is a "work - unit" I've typically gone with manufacturer specs to minimize blue screening etc. No real reason not to do as you suggested, however.

That's what I did. I bought my Dell laptop (2+ years ago) with 128MB of RAM at a bargain price and boosted it to 1GB (at the time, a large amount) with Crucial RAM for minimal cost.

Sirus said:
I'd say at least 1GB RAM, 2GB if you can afford it.
lol, wtf?
I use 1GB and I haven't seen a difference than when I had 512, so 1GB would be the best bet.

It is possible that you either had faster ram earlier, changed something else on your PC, or don't do very memory-intensive work. 1GB (1024MB to be exact) is twice as good as 512.

Sirus said:
It is possible that you either had faster ram earlier, changed something else on your PC, or don't do very memory-intensive work. 1GB (1024MB to be exact) is twice as good as 512.
ROFL, I know everything about mem requirments, I run cad all the time.
I am saying, that 1024MB is the perfect amount for now.
My previous was 512MB ddr266(pc2100)2-3-6-6-i, now I use 1024MB ddr333(pc2700)2-2-6-6-16

Well in my case 1 Gb would probably just do modeling wise ... working further with the models (like solving PDEs in them) is where I can get it pretty easily to reach the max and resort to using virtual.

1. What are the minimum system requirements for laptops used for PDEs and 3D modeling?

The minimum system requirements for laptops used for PDEs and 3D modeling may vary depending on the specific software being used, but generally a laptop with at least an Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and a dedicated graphics card (such as NVIDIA GeForce or AMD Radeon) is recommended. It is also important to have a fast and reliable internet connection for downloading and uploading large files.

2. Can a budget laptop handle PDEs and 3D modeling?

It is possible for a budget laptop to handle PDEs and 3D modeling, but it may not perform as well as a higher-end laptop. Budget laptops typically have lower specs and may struggle with running complex simulations or rendering high-resolution 3D models. It is important to carefully research and consider the required specs for the specific software you will be using before purchasing a budget laptop for PDEs and 3D modeling.

3. Is a touchscreen necessary for PDEs and 3D modeling?

A touchscreen is not necessary for PDEs and 3D modeling, but it can be helpful for certain tasks such as sculpting or drawing in 3D. However, a traditional laptop with a mouse and keyboard can also be used effectively for PDEs and 3D modeling. It ultimately depends on personal preference and the specific software being used.

4. What type of storage is best for PDEs and 3D modeling?

For PDEs and 3D modeling, it is recommended to have a laptop with a solid state drive (SSD) rather than a traditional hard drive. SSDs have faster read and write speeds, which can greatly improve the performance of the software. It is also important to have enough storage space for large files, so a laptop with at least 512GB of storage is recommended.

5. Can a gaming laptop be used for PDEs and 3D modeling?

Yes, a gaming laptop can be used for PDEs and 3D modeling as they often have high-end specs such as powerful processors and dedicated graphics cards. However, it is important to make sure that the specific software being used is compatible with the gaming laptop's hardware. Additionally, gaming laptops tend to be more expensive and may have shorter battery life compared to traditional laptops.