Large Mass But Low Kinetic Energy

In summary, the conversation discussed an example of a body with large mass but low kinetic energy. It was suggested that a fully loaded truck moving slowly in a traffic jam or a sleeping elephant could meet this requirement. However, these are extreme cases and other examples such as a tectonic plate or any massive object at rest were also mentioned. The calculation for the kinetic energy of a tectonic plate was explained, showing that even with a large mass, the kinetic energy is relatively low.
PrakashPrasad
Can anyone please let me know an example where a body has large mass but low Kinetic Energy? Please provide some reasons for same.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly do you need it for? Then I may be able to help you better.

SDewan said:
What exactly do you need it for? Then I may be able to help you better.
I am in need of an example of a body having large mass but low kinetic energy? Please let me some reason for same - is an elephant moving uphill an example of same

Going by the definition, KE=1/2*m*v^2
Just consider a fully loaded truck moving slowly in a traffic jam.
This meets the requirement for a heavy body and low KE. The only thing which is in our control is the velocity. So have as low a velocity as possible.

Likes PrakashPrasad
PrakashPrasad said:
I am in need of an example of a body having large mass but low kinetic energy? Please let me some reason for same - is an elephant moving uphill an example of same
How about a sleeping elephant?

A.T. said:
How about a sleeping elephant?
This case, though meets thecriteria, but is an extreme case.

PrakashPrasad said:
Can anyone please let me know an example where a body has large mass but low Kinetic Energy? Please provide some reasons for same.
How about a tectonic plate. 40E21 kg at 1.6E-9 m/s gives a KE of about 50 kJ, which is only enough energy to power a typical incandescent light bulb for about 20 minutes.

Dale said:
How about a tectonic plate.
Or how about any massive object in the rest frame of that object?

Yes I thought about that too, which would make it obviously 0.

What is meant by "Large Mass But Low Kinetic Energy"?

"Large Mass But Low Kinetic Energy" refers to an object or system that has a significant amount of mass, but is not moving at a high speed. This means that the object or system has a low amount of kinetic energy, which is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. This means that the kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity.

What are some examples of objects with large mass but low kinetic energy?

Some examples of objects with large mass but low kinetic energy include a heavy boulder sitting at the top of a hill, a stationary elephant, or a car parked in a garage. These objects have a significant amount of mass, but are not moving at a high speed, resulting in low kinetic energy.

Can an object have a large mass but still have high kinetic energy?

Yes, an object can have a large mass and high kinetic energy. This can occur when the object has a high velocity. For example, a speeding bullet has a small mass, but due to its high velocity, it has a significant amount of kinetic energy.

How does "Large Mass But Low Kinetic Energy" affect collisions?

In collisions, the amount of kinetic energy determines the severity of the impact. Objects with larger mass and lower kinetic energy will have less impact force compared to objects with smaller mass but higher kinetic energy. This is why a slow-moving truck will cause less damage in a collision than a fast-moving bicycle, even though the truck has a larger mass.