Laser Beam Propagation: Calculating Power & Radius

In summary, the power and radius of the beam at a distance z are constant, no matter how far away from the beam waist the z is.
MiddleVision
Hi all,

I am interested in finding the power of a laser diode as function of the distance z, assuming a free space propagation. I think to have enough information to work it out but I am stacked at the moment.
Given:
  • the initial power, P0 = 1mW
  • beam width clip (e-2 = 13.5%), wx = 3μm, wy = 1μm
  • wavelength, λ = 650nm
  • divergence beam width (full angular), θ = 1mrad
  • M2 = 5
What would be the power P(z) and the radius w(z) of the beam at a distance z?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Science news on Phys.org
The power is constant everywhere. There is no way the power will change unless the energy inside the laser changes, e.g. due to battery depletion.

Thanks for your prompt reply. About the radius of the beam, how large would be the laser spot after, let's say, 1m or 50m?

The information about the angular divergence which you already have there should be sufficient to determine the width at a given distance, assuming this distance is far enough from the beam waist.

I have used the following equation (2.8) to simulate the width at a given distance, using the beam width clip as w0. How do I include the angular divergence in the simulation of w(z)?
Thanks
Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 16.23.43.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 16.23.55.png
Source: Sun, Haiyin. Laser diode beam basics, manipulations and characterizations. Springer Science & Business Media, 2012.

MiddleVision said:
How do I include the angular divergence in the simulation of w(z)?
Isn't the beam divergence given already in equation (2.11)? You can plug in this into equation (2.8).

I thought that the 2.11 is valid only far away from the beam waist. After which value do you think it's "sensible" to use the far field approximation?
I have plotted the beam radii propagation for the X and Y axis and after a distance of about 4 meter the two curves are overlapping each other, i.e. same radius in the plane and the spot is not elliptical anymore. Is that an expected result for such a laser diode?

##\theta## is indeed derived by taking the limit of ##\frac{d w(z)}{dz}## for ##z\rightarrow \infty##, but it turns out that ##\theta## has such a form given in (2.11). Therefore you can regard this equation as an identity and you use it to replace any factor containing the RHS of (2.11) with ##\theta##.
MiddleVision said:
I have plotted the beam radii propagation for the X and Y axis and after a distance of about 4 meter the two curves are overlapping each other, i.e. same radius in the plane and the spot is not elliptical anymore. Is that an expected result for such a laser diode?
Well at least for a perfect Gaussian beam, the smaller beamwaist you have, the bigger the angular divergence is. So, the behavior of the beam you observed makes quite some sense.

I had to refresh my memory about this topic, now it makes sense.

Thanks a lot for your replies :)

1. What is laser beam propagation?

Laser beam propagation refers to the movement of a laser beam through a medium, such as air or a transparent material. This process involves the beam spreading out or narrowing, depending on the characteristics of the medium and the laser itself.

2. Why is it important to calculate the power and radius of a laser beam?

Calculating the power and radius of a laser beam is important for understanding its behavior and potential applications. It can help determine the intensity of the beam, its ability to penetrate materials, and its potential for focusing or collimation.

3. How is power calculated for a laser beam?

The power of a laser beam is calculated by multiplying the energy of the photons in the beam by the frequency at which they are emitted. This can be determined using the equation P = hf, where P is power, h is Planck's constant, and f is frequency.

4. What factors affect the propagation of a laser beam?

Several factors can affect the propagation of a laser beam, including the wavelength of the laser, the medium through which it is traveling, and any obstructions or reflections in its path. Additionally, the shape and quality of the laser beam can also play a role in its propagation.

5. How is the radius of a laser beam calculated?

The radius of a laser beam can be calculated using the Gaussian beam equation, which takes into account the wavelength, beam divergence, and distance from the source. Alternatively, it can be measured directly using specialized equipment, such as a beam profiler.