Moon Experiment: Laser Beam & Telescope for New Moon Phase

In summary,- a lunar laser ranging experiment is difficult because the laser beam spreads out- using the lunar reflectors left by the Apollo astronauts is a better idea- aiming the laser at the dark areas of the moon is more successful
lovicodo
Hello,
i am going to buy a laser and a telescope powerful enough to see the laser spot on the moon.
The lunar phase i choose for the experiment is New Moon, for obvious reasons.
When i move the laser, i should see the light spot move on the moon surface after about 2.5 seconds, due to the light speed.
I need to know the minimal hardware specification that are enough to do this experiment.
For advertising purposes, i would like to choose a laser with visible light radiation, so that the beam can be optically seen on the surface.

First of all, i would like to understand which are the parameters that must be taken in account for the calculation, for example:
- laser output power
- laser beam refraction and attenuation in atmosphere
- laser location altitude
- telescope limit resolution
- telescope limit magnitude
- lunar surface reflectivity

for example, with output laser power about 1000W , telescope with 16.3 limit magnitude and 0.14 arcsec resolution, lunar surface light reflectivity 15% , laser altitude 6000mt (Tibet) how far i am from the minimum requirements to achieve my goal?

Let me know!
Thank you!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
lovicodo said:
i am going to buy a laser and a telescope powerful enough to see the laser spot on the moon.

I don't think you are. You need something like this.

Likes sysprog, member 656954 and berkeman
... and you shouldn't live anywhere near air traffic routes!

• Haha
Likes anorlunda
I think the point that you are missing is that a lunar surface reflectivity of 15% means that 15% of the incident light is reflected in all directions. The fraction of this light that is reflected directly back at you is extremely small. Try calculating the solid angle of your telescope aperture as seen from the moon. That is why the lunar ranging experiments make use of the lunar retro-reflectors left by the Apollo astronauts, which reflect most of the light back in the direction it came from. And as you see from the link @Vanadium 50 posted, even with a laser with a peak power of over 1GW, they only get a few photons coming back. I don't think there is any way you are going to see a laser spot on the lunar soil with any reasonable telescope you can own.

Likes russ_watters and davenn
I remember reading, when at school and before space travel, that a kilogram of burning Magnesium on the Moon's surface would be visible to the largest telescopes on Earth. Unfortunately my Science teacher asked for the calculations, which I could not provide!

Likes PeroK
tech99 said:
my Science teacher asked for the calculations, which I could not provide!

The best answer would be "what is it using for oxygen?"

Likes tech99, russ_watters and PeroK
lovicodo said:
how far i am from the minimum requirements to achieve my goal?

At least a factor of 500,000,000.

lovicodo said:
Summary:: Requirements to send and see a laser beam to the New Moon

The lunar phase i choose for the experiment is New Moon, for obvious reasons.
The obvious reason is a very bad one. The Moon is going to be within a few degrees of the Sun.
Not a good direction for pointing a telescope unless it has a good solar filter ….
But then that will stop any weak reflected light from the moon

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, sophiecentaur, Bystander and 2 others
@davenn , that's an excellent point. Even if you looked immediately after sunset/before sunrise (as appropriate),
  1. there's still a lot of scattered sunlight
  2. you're shooting your laser through a very thick column of air
  3. you don't have much time to make your measurement before the sun rises/moon sets
So what phase do you think is best?

Likes davenn
@Vanadium 50

totally agree with your 3 points

Vanadium 50 said:
So what phase do you think is best?

well as other earlier said, making a spot on the moon with a laser is very difficult considering how
much the beam will spread out on it's way to the moon. The beam spread is likely to be much
wider than the angle the Moon subtends in the sky, anyway. Using the reflectors that NASA Apollo
mission(s) left is a much better idea and much more likely to produce a successful result.

I am not personally aware of the quality of lenses etc for laser collimation is these days ?
But just getting an illuminated patch on the moon, a better time in the lunar month would be
around first or last quarter or a few days earlier/later (respectively) where there is a large dark
area of the moon to "aim at" and it is much higher in the sky where the atmosphere is thinner

Dave

lovicodo said:

That OP reads, to me, like a typical Christmas Puzzle, set by a mischievous tutor for bright students. Would I be right?
Best time to do the experiment: Well before first quarter, I would think. Moon not quite overhead but Sun well below the horizon. Imaging the spot would make a big difference to the detection. Many astro objects are only visible by photography. A long exposure and some masking over the sensor could help. But distinguishing individual pulses would not be as subjectively satisfying, perhaps.

Did you consider using RF signals for this? This link discusses problems and successes for amateur operators.

davenn said:
considering how much the beam will spread out on it's way to the moon.

Typically a good laser's divergence will be around a milliradian. This is diffraction limited, so to do better you need a really large source - not easy with a laser. So that tells you will be able to make a spot around 250 miles around.

Earthshine is about 100 mW/m2, so that's 10-15 GW of power (and I am playing kind of loose with radius vs. diameter and spot size). You can tell right away that any sort of setup where one sees the spot will take enormous power on the Earth to drive that laser.

The trick is to pulse the laser: the return time is spread by a few 10's of microseconds, so megawatt-class lasers will work if I compare on-time signals with out-of-time signals. But this requires instrumentation, not just eyeballs.

The five retroreflectors on the moon do a much better job of returning light to Earth than the charcoal-like surface of the moon, but there are hundreds of square miles of lunar surface per meter of reflector.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes davenn
sophiecentaur said:
Did you consider using RF signals for this? This link discusses problems and successes for amateur operators.
he/she wants to see the laser spot on the moon's surface, a little difficult with a radio signal
and the beam spread with a radio signal would be 100's of times worse

davenn said:
and the beam spread with a radio signal would be 100's of times worse
Yes but you cannot deny that it's been done by radio amateurs. That means you need to do the whole link budget before accepting or rejecting feasibility of a method. RF techniques are very good at digging down into the noise.
"Seeing" is not necessarily believing and we all know that. One thing that the OP should be persuaded is that proof can come in a variety of ways.
And I still wonder about the actual source of the original question. (I have written similar questions for students. If the available money is not limited then the optical way is possible.

Three people have suggested radio/radar. That's a fine answer, and I agree 100% that it is more feasible, but not the answer to the question the OP asked.

Likes davenn
sophiecentaur said:
Yes but you cannot deny that it's been done by radio amateurs. That means you need to do the whole link budget before accepting or rejecting feasibility of a method. RF techniques are very good at digging down into the noise.
Ohhh yeah, RF moonbounce is lots of fun :smile:

Vanadium 50 said:
Three people have suggested radio/radar. That's a fine answer, and I agree 100% that it is more feasible, but not the answer to the question the OP asked.
In which case I think the answer is No, unless you have a lot of resources. The question is asked in the first person and, if it ain't from a millionaire, that's definitely the answer.
It wouldn't be the first time that an original question to PF has been modified in order to provide a reasonable solution.

1. How does the laser beam and telescope help with studying the new moon phase?

The laser beam and telescope allow scientists to accurately measure the distance between the Earth and the moon during the new moon phase. This helps in understanding the moon's orbit and its position in relation to Earth.

2. What is the purpose of using a laser beam instead of traditional methods for measuring the moon's distance?

Using a laser beam allows for more precise measurements as it can travel in a straight line without being affected by atmospheric conditions. Traditional methods, such as radar, can be affected by weather and other factors.

3. How is the laser beam set up for the moon experiment?

The laser beam is set up by pointing it towards the moon from a location on Earth. The beam is then reflected off a retroreflector on the moon's surface and back to Earth, where it can be measured by a telescope.

4. What type of information can be gathered from the laser beam and telescope experiment?

The experiment can provide information on the moon's distance from Earth, its orbit, and its position in the sky during the new moon phase. This data can also be used to study the moon's composition and surface features.

5. Are there any limitations to using a laser beam and telescope for studying the new moon phase?

One limitation is that the experiment can only be conducted on clear nights with a visible new moon. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurements can be affected by factors such as the location of the retroreflector on the moon and any obstructions in the laser's path.