Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Laser dissipation in air?

1. Dec 23, 2008 #1
    What equations would I need for calculating this, say if I wanted to know what the power/intensity of an x watt, x wavelength laser would be reduced to after x metres?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Simplest is just the beam divergence. Unless the laser is perfectly focussed it will have a beam divergence in mRad. A milli-radian is 1 part in 57,000
    Over very long distances you might want to consider atmospheric absorption.
  4. Dec 24, 2008 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

If you know the extinction coefficient 'k' for air (which varies with wavelength, humidity, density, CO2 concentration, etc) the intensity follows Beer's law:

I = I_0 exp(-kz)
  5. Dec 24, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

It also matters whether you're talking about a laser pointer or an SDI-sized laser. For the latter, there's also something called "thermal blooming" - the laser heats the air, the air develops a changing index of refraction depending on the distance to the beam, and you've just stuck a lens in front of your laser, dispersing it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?