Laser Scan Matching - Robot Localization in MATLAB

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter schabbir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laser
In summary, the conversation is about a programming project in MATLAB for robot localization based on scan matching. The issue at hand is how to compute the likelihood between a new scan and a list of 1228 previously recorded scans. Suggestions are given to use Euclidean distance and an Iterative Closest Point algorithm, or to incorporate more information about the object and use a shape matching algorithm. A resource is also provided for further information on these methods.
schabbir
Hi,

I am writing a program in MATLAB for robot localization based on scan matching and have the following problem:

I have recorded 1228 laser scans at different positions and extracted extreme points from these scans. So that gives me 1228 sets of extreme points (every set might have different number of extreme points depends upon the scan, approx. it gives around 20 extreme points per scan. One extreme point have two coordinates, 1) phi: the laser beam angle and 2) r: the range reading of the beam).

Now at run time laser scanner returns me a new scan and I want to compare the extreme points of this scan to my list of 1228 scans and compute the likelihood between new scan and the individual scans in my database.

Can anyone suggest me a method to compute this likelihood. I tried to compute Euclidean distance between the scans, but it does not return good results.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Generally you match point clouds with euclidean distance and an Iterative Closest Point algorithm.
Search for point cloud matching and ICP eg http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/12627

If you have more information about the object, ie. if it has known edges or corners or if your points are on a known grid you can do better with a, convert to geometric shpae and then match shape algorithm

1. How does laser scan matching work for robot localization in MATLAB?

Laser scan matching uses a laser scanner to collect data about the environment and compares it with a pre-existing map to determine the robot's location. In MATLAB, this is done by processing the sensor data and using algorithms to match the scans and calculate the robot's position and orientation.

2. What are the main benefits of using laser scan matching for robot localization?

Laser scan matching is a popular method for robot localization because it is accurate, fast, and can be used in a wide range of environments. It also does not require any additional sensors or external references, making it a cost-effective solution.

3. What types of robots can use laser scan matching for localization in MATLAB?

Any type of robot that is equipped with a laser scanner and can run MATLAB code can use laser scan matching for localization. This includes autonomous vehicles, drones, and industrial robots.

4. How does MATLAB's built-in mapping toolbox assist with laser scan matching for robot localization?

The mapping toolbox in MATLAB provides functions and algorithms specifically designed for processing and analyzing sensor data, making it easier to implement laser scan matching for robot localization. It also offers tools for creating and managing maps, which can be useful for building the reference map used in the localization process.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when using laser scan matching for robot localization in MATLAB?

One of the main challenges with laser scan matching is handling noisy data and dealing with errors in the sensor readings. This can be addressed by using filtering techniques and implementing robust algorithms. Additionally, laser scan matching may struggle in environments with few distinct features, as it relies on matching scans to a reference map. This can be mitigated by using other localization methods in conjunction with laser scan matching.