Lateral car velocity in a corner

Tiny Tim have been discussing the problem of calculating the lateral velocity of a car going around a corner or changing lanes without knowing the cornering stiffness. In summary, Rabun suggests that the lateral velocity might be zero, while Tiny Tim believes it is possible to calculate it with known variables such as the yawrate and steering angle. They both continue to clarify the problem and question at hand.
rabun
Hello

The problem is a car going around a corner. The car is moving at a known but changing longitudal speed, the yawrate and steering angle is known as well.
Is it possible to calculate the lateral velocity of the car without knowing the cornering stiffness?(road/tire friction coefficient)

Thank for your help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hello rabun! :smile:

i don't understand the question :redface:

surely the lateral velocity is zero? :confused:

Hello tiny tim

No, I do don't think that it should be zero, though I might restate the question differently.

In stead of a corner, since this might suggest constant angular velocity, picture a car changeing lanes on the highway. This would entail the forward velocity being somewhat constant.
If I could measure the Yawrate and the angle of the front wheels of the car as well as the forward velocity would it be possible to calculate the lateral velocity at CG without cornering stiffness as the car changes lanes. Can it be done?

Does this make my problem clearer? or am I further confusing everyone?

Rabun

What is lateral car velocity in a corner?

Lateral car velocity in a corner refers to the speed at which a car is traveling sideways, or laterally, while navigating a turn or corner.

Why is lateral car velocity important?

Lateral car velocity is important because it affects the stability and control of a car while turning. Too much lateral velocity can cause the car to lose traction and potentially spin out, while too little can result in a slower and less efficient turn.

What factors affect lateral car velocity in a corner?

There are several factors that can affect lateral car velocity in a corner, including the speed of the car, the angle of the turn, the road conditions, and the weight distribution of the car.

How is lateral car velocity measured?

Lateral car velocity is typically measured using a variety of sensors, such as accelerometers and GPS technology, that can track the speed and movement of the car in real-time.

How can lateral car velocity be optimized for better performance?

To optimize lateral car velocity, drivers can adjust their speed and angle of approach to a turn, maintain proper weight distribution in the car, and utilize techniques such as braking and accelerating smoothly to maintain control and maximize speed through the turn.