Latex Formatting & HTML ASCII Code Issues

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Doc Al
  • Start date
In summary, Latex formatting problems?One possible problem is forgetting to put LaTeX parsing code into the editpost.php script. Another problem is that "itex" equations don't seem to be lining up properly with the text line.
Doc Al
Mentor
Latex problems??

I'm having problems with Latex formatting. (And html ascii codes as well!) Is there a known problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please describe your problem. We went through an update last night and I forgot to put the LaTeX parsing code into the editpost.php script, meaning that you couldn't edit a post to fix its LaTeX. I have fixed that one already, and everything should be fine in LaTeX land now.

I had to do some muckery to get the ascii codes working last time.. now I have to remember what I did. I'll work on it.

- Warren

an example of the problem

I'll try to duplicate something I was writing earlier today (I see in the preview that the same problems appear--the equations appear offset from the text):

Would you agree that the rocket has some proper length L? And thus, from the rocket's viewpoint it takes the rocket a time [itex]T_B = L/v[/itex] to pass (front to rear) clock A. And what time does Clock A measure for this passing? From the A frame, the rocket only has a length of [itex]L/\gamma[/itex], thus Clock A measures a time of only [itex]T_A = (L/\gamma)/v = T_B/\gamma[/itex]. Clock A always measures a smaller time that clock B.​

I also tried to write a gamma using & gamma ; = γ. (That doesn't work either.)

itex formatting not right

Warren,

It looks like using "itex" is still messed up. On the other hand, it seems that using "tex" seems to work OK, even in the middle of text. So maybe we don't need "itex" any longer? In any case, "itex" equations don't seem to be lining up properly with the text line.

Al

Test: [itex]a^n[/itex]

- Warren

Itex is fixed.. sorry about that.

test... Δ

I have to remember what I had to change to get the html glyphs to work...

- Warren

Γ Δ

- Warren

Okay, fixed.

- Warren

1. What is the purpose of using Latex formatting in scientific writing?

Latex formatting is a markup language commonly used in scientific writing to format and typeset documents with mathematical equations, symbols, and other technical elements. It allows for precise and consistent formatting, making it easier to communicate complex ideas and information.

2. What is the difference between Latex formatting and HTML?

While both Latex and HTML are markup languages, they serve different purposes. Latex is primarily used for scientific and technical documents, while HTML is used for creating web pages. Additionally, Latex focuses on typesetting and formatting, while HTML is used for structuring and styling content.

3. How do I include special characters or symbols in Latex formatting?

To include special characters or symbols in Latex formatting, you can use the backslash (\) followed by the name of the symbol or the ASCII code. For example, \alpha will insert the Greek letter alpha and \textregistered will insert the registered trademark symbol.

4. Are there any limitations to using Latex formatting in scientific writing?

While Latex is a powerful tool for scientific writing, it does have some limitations. It may not be suitable for documents with a lot of text formatting or for collaborative writing. Additionally, there can be a learning curve for those new to using Latex. However, many online resources and tutorials are available to help with this.

5. How can I convert Latex documents to HTML?

There are a few different ways to convert Latex documents to HTML. Some Latex editors have built-in functionality for exporting to HTML, or you can use a conversion tool such as Pandoc. Keep in mind that the conversion may not be perfect and may require some manual adjustments to ensure proper formatting and functionality.