Effortless LaTeX Rendering in Editor: A Workaround for Accidental Pop-Ups

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Ibix
  • Start date
In summary, the bug involves accidentally hovering over a related thread while typing a response, causing LaTeX to render in the editor. A possible workaround is to press "undo" and then "redo" in the editor, but this only works in the WYSIWYG editor and only once per rendered popup. The user also discovered that typing something after quoting a post enables the undo option, so the workaround can be used in this case as well.
Ibix
Science Advisor
Insights Author
This is a bug people have complained about before, but I've just found a way to make it happen on demand. I was typing a response in this thread and accidentally hovered over the first "related thread", which is titled "Is Second rank tensor always tensor product of two vectors?". The OP in that thread turned out to have a lot of LaTeX, and when the pop-up with the beginning of the post appeared the LaTeX in the edit box rendered itself as well.

Incidentally, I also discovered a possible workaround for us users. At least in this case, pressing "undo" and then "redo" in the editor reverted it to LaTeX source. I guess you'd have to undo to the point where you were when the unwanted rendering happened, so this might not work if you don't notice the rendering soon after it happens.

• Informative
Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't reproduce the problem with the steps you described. Firefox. I tried both the regular and the pseudo-WYSIWYG editor option.

Likes Ibix
I could reproduce both the problem and the workaround, but the latter doesn't work if no draft has been saved before the rendering problem occurred.

Likes Ibix
mfb said:
I can't reproduce the problem with the steps you described. Firefox. I tried both the regular and the pseudo-WYSIWYG editor option.
It only works in the WYSIWYG editor, and it only works once per popup (presumably it remembers the rendered popup) - so if you tried with the plain text editor then the WYSIWYG you won't have got it. Try refreshing the page, switch to WYSIWYG, enter some LaTeX and hover over the related thread again.

Last edited:
I did some further testing, and it turns out that it has nothing to do with saving a draft. After quoting a post, I have to type something (even a letter will do) to enable the undo option. Then, if the LaTeX renders in the editor, I can simply click on the Undo option. A quick video of the process is available here.

Ibix said:
It only works in the WYSIWYG editor, and it only works once per popup (presumably it remembers the rendered popup) - so if you tried with the plain text editor then the WYSIWYG you won't have got it. Try refreshing the page, switch to WYSIWYG, enter some LaTeX and hover over the related thread again.
With these steps I can reproduce the bug, too.

1. What is "Effortless LaTeX Rendering in Editor"?

"Effortless LaTeX Rendering in Editor" is a workaround method for avoiding accidental pop-ups while using LaTeX in an editor. It allows for seamless and uninterrupted editing and compiling of LaTeX documents.

2. How does this workaround prevent accidental pop-ups?

This workaround involves using a specific editor, such as TeXstudio, and configuring the settings to automatically render LaTeX code in the background. This prevents any pop-ups from appearing during the editing process.

3. Is this workaround compatible with all editors?

No, this workaround is specifically designed for use with TeXstudio. However, there may be similar methods available for other editors.

4. Are there any limitations to using this workaround?

One limitation is that it may not work for all types of pop-ups. Additionally, using this workaround may require some initial setup and configuration within the editor.

5. Can this workaround be used by LaTeX beginners?

Yes, this workaround can be used by beginners as long as they are familiar with using an editor and have basic knowledge of LaTeX. However, it may be more beneficial for more experienced users who are familiar with the editor's settings and customization options.