Latin in Science: Usage & Examples

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary: Latin is a logical choice for a scientific language, because it is the root language of many European languages. It may be because you want to speak to spanish people, or because you want to read Don Quixote in the original (in which i assume it's much funnier!)If you prefer Caesar, or Cicero, or Virgil's poetry, to Cervantes, then learn latin! :smile:
leroyjenkens
I was talking to someone who said there's a lot of Latin in science. In chemistry and physics I couldn't think of any. Is there?
I know biology has a bunch of weird names for organs, bones, muscles, etc.. are those all Latin?

Physics news on Phys.org
leroyjenkens said:
I was talking to someone who said there's a lot of Latin in science. In chemistry and physics I couldn't think of any. Is there?
I know biology has a bunch of weird names for organs, bones, muscles, etc.. are those all Latin?

Inertia is a Latin word. Some of the prefixes for unit scales are as well.

leroyjenkens said:
Bremsstrahlung is a Latin word. :smile:

So there's sporadic usage of Latin words in chemistry and physics? When I think of chemistry and physics, the laws and stuff are just named after people. Most of the words we use, like pressure, momentum, volume, etc, are words that may have originated in Latin, but are commonly used in English independent of their scientific usages.
Some elements have Latin names, but we don't use them, except for abbreviations.
The discussion got started because I was wondering what use it is to take Latin, since no one speaks it anymore. And I was told that it could help in my science studies, since a lot of Latin words are used in science. Well, I couldn't think of any in physics and chemistry. The prefixes, yeah, but I've already learned all those. And all the prefixes for the elements I've memorized too, so learning Latin for me wouldn't help at all.
I just think if you're going to spend time learning a new language, why would you learn one that no one speaks?

arildno said:

Working on a nomination for best-humor medal sensor has been triggered

For physics and chemistry, I don't think that you will find much more Latin than French or German or Greek. In any case, it is just a bit of vocabulary, and you can forget about all the horrible grammar.

Mass comes from Latin. So does pressure. Calculus, arc, velocity, and acceleration are a few more.

Jack21222 said:
Inertia is a Latin word. Some of the prefixes for unit scales are as well.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Mass comes from Latin. So does pressure. Calculus, arc, velocity, and acceleration are a few more.

Yeas ago, I learned all about inertia, pressure, mass, velocity, acceleration, and took years of calculus...yet I didn't know any of those words had Latin roots.

Would it have helped? Nah, not one iota.

lisab said:
.. Nah, not one iota.

whιch ιs greek, The latιns dotted ιt. Hence ιt grew too bιg to be a ιota and ιt became a me.

leroyjenkens said:
I just think if you're going to spend time learning a new language, why would you learn one that no one speaks?

if you learn spanish, it may be because you want to speak to spanish people, or because you want to read Don Quixote in the original (in which i assume it's much funnier!)

if you prefer Caesar, or Cicero, or Virgil's poetry, to Cervantes, then learn latin! :smile:

Likes Teck
leroyjenkens said:
The discussion got started because I was wondering what use it is to take Latin, since no one speaks it anymore. And I was told that it could help in my science studies, since a lot of Latin words are used in science.
This is baloney. It won't help with your understanding of science.

If you're wondering why anyone takes Latin, it's a different story: there are hundreds of years of documents that are written in Latin. Understanding the history of those times, including the scientific history, requires understanding the language they were written in.

For what it is worth, I took Latin instead of French way back in high school.

I deeply regret this decision.

arildno said:

Ja, indeed! :biggrin:

M Quack said:
For what it is worth, I took Latin instead of French way back in high school.

I deeply regret this decision.

French girls and Latin girls are both hot. But only one of those types of girls actually commonly speak the language they're named for. Turns out you chose wrong. :rofl:

leroyjenkens said:

Biological taxonomy is swimming in Latin and lots of Greek, too. My field of Microbiology has lots and lots and lots.

arildno said:

Three words: Holy Roman Empire.

This is baloney. It won't help with your understanding of science.
That's what I said, especially since I couldn't think of any Latin that was in science. At least none of the science I do.

But as far as biology goes, there's lots of terminology, and isn't a lot of that Latin?
I thought maybe knowing Latin could give you an advantage in memorizing all the terminology that goes with biology/anatomy/etc, if the terminology was more than just foreign words, but words that you understood.

leroyjenkens said:
That's what I said, especially since I couldn't think of any Latin that was in science.
Maybe that's because you don't know any Latin, not because science doesn't use it.

Andre said:
whιch ιs greek, The latιns dotted ιt. Hence ιt grew too bιg to be a ιota and ιt became a me.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

tiny-tim said:
if you learn spanish, it may be because you want to speak to spanish people, or because you want to read Don Quixote in the original (in which i assume it's much funnier!)

if you prefer Caesar, or Cicero, or Virgil's poetry, to Cervantes, then learn latin! :smile:

I would like to read Don Quixote in Spanish too, although I know that I never will. My English version has a long preface by the translator on how his translation is so much better than all of the previous ones and how it manages to bring out the subtleties and elements of language that only a native can fully understand and appreciate.

What is Latin used for in science?

Latin is used in science for naming species, anatomical structures, and scientific concepts. It is also used in scientific terminology and abbreviations.

Why is Latin used in science?

Latin is used in science because it is a precise and concise language, making it ideal for naming and describing complex scientific concepts. It also has a long history in scientific literature and has become a universal language in the field.

What are some examples of Latin words used in science?

Some common examples of Latin words used in science include Homo sapiens (scientific name for humans), E. coli (abbreviated name for a type of bacteria), and neuro (meaning nerve or nervous system).

How is Latin pronounced in scientific terms?

In scientific terms, Latin is pronounced using the classical pronunciation, which is different from the modern pronunciation. It is important for scientists to learn the correct pronunciation to avoid confusion and miscommunication.

Is it necessary to know Latin to understand science?

No, it is not necessary to know Latin to understand science. While knowing some Latin can be helpful in understanding scientific terms, most scientific concepts can be explained in everyday language. However, a basic understanding of Latin can be beneficial in certain scientific fields, such as taxonomy and anatomy.