1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lattice diagrams and generator in Algebra

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I do not understand the following statement (Please, see the attachment):

"C4 has trivial subgroups and only one cyclic subgroup of 2 elements, namely <b>. This is because both a and c can be verified to be generators of C4."

3. The attempt at a solution

The notation <something> is normally used to indicate a generator of a group.
    However, the paragraph uses the notation only for the cyclic subgroup b such that <b>.

The following support statement
    for the above clause is what I do not understand:
    "This is because both a and c can be verified to be generators of C4."

If a subgroup has a generator, then it is a cyclic group.
    The paragraph says that the group has two generators, a and c.
    Then, a and c must be also cyclic subgroups of C4.

This is a contradiction to the first clause that C4 has only one generator b.

What does the paragraph really mean?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2009 #2
    I think they mean is that you can choose either a or c as the generator of the group. You only need one generator, and both elements are candidates for it.

4. Jun 7, 2009 #3
    Thank you for your answer!

Do you mean that a and c are subgroups of b?
    It seems that if a subgroup has two elements, then these two elements are subgroups too.

If they are subgroups of b and b is a generator, then a and c seems to get the "generator" property from b.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook