Laurent Series Expansion coefficient for f(z) = 1/(z-1)^2

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 36K views
kpizzano
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Determine the coefficients [itex]c_n[/itex] of the Laurent series expansion

[itex]\frac{1}{(z-1)^2} = \sum_{n = -\infty}^{\infty} c_n z^n[/itex]

that is valid for [itex]|z| > 1[/itex].

Homework Equations



none

The Attempt at a Solution



I found expansions valid for [itex]|z|>1[/itex] and [itex]|z|<1[/itex]:

[itex]\sum_{n = 0}^{\infty} \left(n-1\right)z^n, |z|>1[/itex] and

[itex]\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty} \left(n-1\right)z^{-n}, |z|<1[/itex]

I know that if I negate the n's in the second equation and change the index of the sum to go from -∞ to -2 I can add them together to get the sum from -∞ to ∞, but I don't know what to do about the missing n=1 term. Any suggestions?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There are two different Laurent series for the function, each one being valid in different portions of the complex plane. You can't add them together because, at a particular value of z, only one will converge.

You might want to show us your work on how you found the series because they're not correct.
 
I just noticed that I missed the part in the problem statement that says valid for [itex]|z|>1[/itex], so I only need

[itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(n+1\right)z^{-\left(n+2\right)}[/itex].

I got that by noticing that [itex]\frac{1}{\left(z-1\right)^2} = \frac{1}{z^2\left(1-\frac{1}{z}\right)^2}[/itex]

Using the geometric series expansion, [itex]= \frac{1}{z^2}\left(1 + \frac{1}{z} + \frac{1}{z^2} + \frac{1}{z^3} + ...\right)^2<br /> = \frac{1}{z^2}\left(1 + \frac{2}{z} + \frac{3}{z^2} + \frac{4}{z^3} + ...\right)<br /> = \frac{1}{z^2} + \frac{2}{z^3} + \frac{3}{z^4} + \frac{4}{z^5} + ...<br /> =\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(n+1\right)z^{-\left(n+2\right)}, for |z|>1[/itex]

Now that I have that, I'm not sure how I can extend the indices of the summation so that they match what we were given in the problem statement.
 
You got it. You don't need to extend the summation. The "missing" terms aren't there because cn=0 for those powers of z.