Law of cooling and Exponential growth

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
fk378
Messages
366
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A roast turkey is taken from an oven when its temperature has reached 185 degrees F and is placed on a table in a room where the temperature is 75 degrees F. When will the turkey have cooled to 100 degrees F?


Homework Equations


dT/dt=k(T-Ts) where Ts=temperature of the surrounding
y(t)=y(0)e^kt



The Attempt at a Solution


I solved T(t)=75+110e^(ln .682)t/30

Solving for t:
100=75+110e^(ln .682)t/30
t=10

I know that t=10 isn't right, but I don't know what I did wrong. Any takers?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you solve for k?

Just quickly I got:

[tex]\frac{1}{k}ln(\frac{25}{110})[/tex]
 
To solve for k I used the fact that y(30)=150-75=75
So, 110e^30k=75
e^30k=.682
30k=ln .682
k= ln .682/30
 
dashkin111 said:
How did you solve for k?

Just quickly I got:

[tex]\frac{1}{k}ln(\frac{25}{110})[/tex]

fk378 said:
To solve for k I used the fact that y(30)=150-75=75
So, 110e^30k=75
e^30k=.682
30k=ln .682
k= ln .682/30
And how did you know that y(30)= 75? You didn't tell us anything about the temperature of the turkey 30 minutes after being take out of the oven!