Proving the Universality of Physical Laws: A Challenge for Kev

In summary, to prove that the laws of physics are the same in all inertial frames of reference, one must define an inertial coordinate system, deduce the most general coordinate transformations between such frames, and check if applying these transformations to the laws of physics leaves them unchanged. Special relativity is based on the postulate that the laws of physics are invariant under these transformations. This postulate can be tested through experiments and falsified if necessary. The concept of an inertial frame has evolved over time, and now includes the idea that the metric for flat spacetime should be the same in such a frame. Examples such as length contraction and time dilation serve as evidence for the invariance of physical laws across inertial frames. The concept
Reasoning why we have the 3/2R ratio would be very interesting. I wonder if we can relate it to the fact that the photon sphere has the same ratio with respect to the Schwarzschild radius.

Perhaps there is some merit in considering that a stationary observer hovering just above the event horizon has the maximum (coordinate) time dilation due to gravitational time dilation and zero 'SR time dilation' and an observer in a circular orbit slightly outside the photon sphere has the maximum (coordinate and proper) velocity approaching c which implies the maximum 'SR time dilation'. These 'maximums' are 3/2 away from each other.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Passionflower said:
A scientific formula is right or wrong there is no middle way. I certainly would appreciate it if my formulas or calculations were found wrong, that's the way to learn, you apply, make mistakes, and hopefully someone else takes the trouble of telling you you are right or wrong.

Yeah, but not by dragging the thread off-topic into yet another personal pissing match. Do you really think that this is meaningful for the OP, and his question? It's fine to debate, but there is a place for that, and simply blowing out any given thread isn't that place. It's not as if this is the first, or even fifth time either, it's a ****ing pattern that is getting OLD.

Why are the laws of physics the same for all observers, is no longer in the discussion is it? The bottom line, that these are postulates which form the basis for the theory, and not the other way around, is being lost in mathematical minutiae.

Here's an edit, and idea: How about Starthaus and Kev (and you if you like) start a thread where, every time this same old story emerges, you can debate who's right, and how, and why? You'd already have pages of the stuff, and it's a practical way to not drag a given thread into a corner to die quietly.

Last edited:
nismaratwork said:
Here's an edit, and idea: How about Starthaus and Kev (and you if you like) start a thread where, every time this same old story emerges, you can debate who's right, and how, and why? You'd already have pages of the stuff, and it's a practical way to not drag a given thread into a corner to die quietly.

Hi nismaratwork,

when I entered the thread, it appeared to be about clock rates in a gravitational field, because that was what the last half dozen posts was about and I was also responding to comments made about me when I wasn't even in this thread! However, I agree with you that the issues are getting off topic so my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I have started a new thread for the issues raised by Starthaus/Passionflower/JesseM/myself here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2855224#post2855224

kev said:
Hi nismaratwork,

when I entered the thread, it appeared to be about clock rates in a gravitational field, because that was what the last half dozen posts was about and I was also responding to comments made about me when I wasn't even in this thread! However, I agree with you that the issues are getting off topic so my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I have started a new thread for the issues raised by Starthaus/Passionflower/JesseM/myself here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2855224#post2855224

I'm familiar with Starthaus' penchant for calling you out at fairly regular intervals (although I don't know why), and I don't blame you for responding. I think this avenue you're taking now is the best idea. Thanks!

nismaratwork said:
I'm familiar with Starthaus' penchant for calling you out at fairly regular intervals (although I don't know why),

Because kev writes a lot of incorrect things. This is why.

nismaratwork said:
I'm familiar with Starthaus' penchant for calling you out at fairly regular intervals (although I don't know why), and I don't blame you for responding. I think this avenue you're taking now is the best idea. Thanks!

Kev might be interested in this link: https://www.physicsforums.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist

Last edited by a moderator:
starthaus said:
Look, I am not going to engage in this Q&A game with you again. I know GR quite well and it takes one line of calculations to show that [tex]\frac{d\tau}{dt}<1[/tex] for any r.

I looked, pervect is using an incorrect metric, his formula for [tex]g_{tt}[/tex] is incorrect.
If you want, I can do the correct one-line calculation.

I looked. kev's calculation has two mistakes:

1. He uses the wrong metric , i.e. wrong [tex]g_{tt}[/tex]

2. even worse, he does not calculate the time dilation for orbital motion

As I suspected, it is alll wrong.

That thread dealt with yet different errors in calculating time dilation for radial (not orbital) motion. No point in bringing into play, do you realize kev's errors in calculating time dilation for orbital motion?
For reference, I've responded to starthaus' various confused criticisms in post #23 on the other thread.

bcrowell said:
Kev might be interested in this link: https://www.physicsforums.com/profile.php?do=ignorelist

He might, but then again he might not want someone spouting off and be unable to directly monitor that, right?

JesseM: I know, I've seen this same pattern in other threads, it's kind of unfortunate. Usually it's a death-knell for the thread, but you're sure as hell not the cause.

Last edited by a moderator: