Lead-lag system and model with Simulink

In summary, the conversation is about constructing a model and incorporating 3 steps. The person initially tried using 3 step blocks but the input for the transfer function only takes one line. They are then advised to use a summing block and 3 separate step blocks. The conversation also touches on a transfer function being a unity gain element, with mention of time constants and a lead-lag compensator. The person admits to not knowing what lead-lag means and was just trying to solve the problem for homework.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

upload_2015-9-27_14-43-47.png

upload_2015-9-27_14-44-3.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello,

I am trying to construct the model, but I don't know how to incorporate 3 steps. I tried making 3 step blocks, but the input for the transfer function will only take one line. Then I tried to use one step block and make a vector indicating a new step at 3 different times
upload_2015-9-27_14-47-13.png

upload_2015-9-27_14-46-29.png

But this is not working, it doesn't like the vector input. Any idea how I can utilize 3 steps?

Physics news on Phys.org
you can use a summing block and three separate step blocks.
There is also an input that will allow you to create your own waveform

Likes gfd43tg
Thanks, I didn't know how the sum block worked before, now I do.

I am a bit surprised about the transfer function G(s)=(s+1)/(s+1)=1.
Who told you that this is a lead-lag block? It is a unity gain element, nothing else.

The homework assignment said, look at the problem statement.

Didn`t you realize that G(s)=1 ?
Should be a typing error; why not googling for lead-lag?

Yes, admittedly I don't know what lead-lag means. I was just trying to solve the problem for the homework

Watch point e) of the problem statement (time constants).
Time constants appear in th transfer function as factors, for eample: (s*T+1).

1. What is a lead-lag system and how does it work?

A lead-lag system is a control system that consists of two components: a lead compensator and a lag compensator. The lead compensator is designed to improve the transient response of the system, while the lag compensator is designed to improve the steady-state response. Together, they provide a balance between fast response and stable behavior.

2. What is the purpose of using a lead-lag system in a model created with Simulink?

The purpose of using a lead-lag system in a model created with Simulink is to improve the performance and stability of the system. The lead-lag system can be used to compensate for any delays or weaknesses in the system, resulting in a better overall response.

3. How is a lead-lag system implemented in Simulink?

In Simulink, a lead-lag system can be implemented using the Transfer Fcn block. This block allows the user to specify the transfer function of the lead-lag system, including the gain and time constants. The block can then be connected to the rest of the model to simulate the behavior of the lead-lag system.

4. What are the advantages of using Simulink to model a lead-lag system?

One of the main advantages of using Simulink to model a lead-lag system is the ability to easily visualize and simulate the behavior of the system. Simulink provides a user-friendly graphical interface that allows for easy manipulation and analysis of the model. It also has built-in tools for parameter tuning and optimization, making it a powerful tool for designing and testing lead-lag systems.

5. Can a lead-lag system be used for any type of control system?

Yes, a lead-lag system can be used for a variety of control systems, including electrical, mechanical, and chemical systems. As long as the system has a transfer function that can be represented by a lead-lag compensator, a lead-lag system can be used to improve its performance and stability.