Learn Mechanics: Self-Study Guide & Prerequisites

• Thread starter person_random_normal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation discussed the best book to learn mechanics, with a recommendation for Kleppner and Kolenkow's "An Introduction to Mechanics" due to its advanced use of calculus. The conversation also touched on the desire for more advanced material, with a suggestion for "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein.
person_random_normal
At present whatever mechanics I know is attributed to PHYSICS - Halliday Reskick Krane
i.e kinematics, centre of mass , work energy theorem and rotational mechanics

So I want to go on !
So What I want to know is which book will be best for that, and whatever you tell please mind that I will be doing self learning.

Also let me know the corresponding mathematical prerequisites ,
as of now as far as calculus goes
I know differentiation , first two principals of integral calculus , first order differential equations

Physics news on Phys.org
Kleppner and Kolenkow, An Introduction to Mechanics, is the way to go.

something more advance !

making into Euler's and Lagrange's stuff
but from basics

Shreyas Samudra said:
something more advance !

making into Euler's and Lagrange's stuff
but from basics

Are you sure you know what Kleppner's book does? Sure, it might appear that they cover the same as Halliday's book. But Kleppner-Kolenkow is very different and way more mature than Halliday. While Halliday often uses some baby calculus, Kleppner uses the full power of calculus every step of the way. Seriously, I think every physics student should work through Kleppner before moving on to Lagrangian stuff.

But ok, if you want more advanced stuff: https://www.amazon.com/dp/189138922X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

First, "wanna" isn't even slang. It's baby talk. I don't know why people expect to be treated seriously if they write in baby talk.

Second, you got some very good advice with Kleppner. I don't understand the desire to whip through the material as quickly as possible, ensuring that one learns as little as possible.

Likes NTesla, person_random_normal and micromass

Related to Learn Mechanics: Self-Study Guide & Prerequisites

1. What is the purpose of the "Learn Mechanics" self-study guide?

The purpose of the "Learn Mechanics" self-study guide is to provide a comprehensive and structured approach to learning mechanics, a branch of physics that deals with the motion and forces of objects. It aims to help individuals gain a strong foundation in mechanics and prepare them for more advanced studies in the subject.

2. Do I need any prior knowledge or prerequisites to use this guide?

Yes, you will need a basic understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus to effectively use this self-study guide. These concepts are essential for understanding and solving problems in mechanics.

3. Can this guide be used for self-study or is it meant for classroom use?

This guide is designed for self-study, but it can also be used as a supplement for classroom instruction. It includes detailed explanations, examples, and practice problems to help individuals learn mechanics at their own pace.

4. Is this guide suitable for all levels of learners?

Yes, this guide is suitable for learners of all levels, from beginners to advanced students. It covers the fundamental concepts of mechanics and provides practice problems of varying difficulty to cater to different levels of understanding.

5. Are there any resources or tools included in this guide?

Yes, the "Learn Mechanics" self-study guide includes interactive simulations, videos, and links to additional resources that can enhance the learning experience and help individuals visualize and understand concepts better.