Learning N=4 SYM for the Uninitiated

• Thread starter negru
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is looking for resources to understand N=4 SYM (supersymmetric Yang-Mills theory) and its connections to conformal field theory and supersymmetry. They have found technical articles and papers, but are looking for something that starts from scratch and provides examples and explanations of how to use the extra symmetries. The expert recommends starting with supersymmetry (N=1) and suggests a lengthy review from a science library or online resources such as a brief review lectures. The individual expresses gratitude and excitement for the suggested resources.
negru
Hi
I'm trying to understand how N=4 SYM works, but I can't find anything very helpful, only very technical articles. Assuming that I have the basics (or at least currently working on it) of your basic QFT from Peskin, Srednicki etc, what would be the next step? Conformal field theory? Supersymmetry by itself?
All the SYM papers on arxiv which I find are only ads/cft spam :) which assume a lot of background so it's hard to filter through them all..I'm looking for something that starts from scratch, has examples, explains how you use all the extra symmetries, etc.

Any recommendations would be great!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would start with supersymmetry (N=1), while the conformal field theory you need for a basic understanding of N=4 SYM can be obtained from AdS/CFT reviews. If you have a science library nearby, try the lengthy review, which focuses on N=1 (and some bits about extended susy):
M. Sohnius, Phys.Rept.128:39-204,1985
Online, it's tough to find what you're looking for. There is a brief review lectures of N=1 and N=4 susy for the purposes of AdS/CFT:
Freedman and D'Hoker, hep-th/0201253

Good luck

Cool, thanks! I found it online, it looks like real solid work, just what I was looking for :D

Related to Learning N=4 SYM for the Uninitiated

1. What is N=4 SYM?

N=4 SYM, or N=4 Super Yang-Mills theory, is a mathematical and physical theory that describes the interactions of particles at the subatomic level. It is a supersymmetric extension of Yang-Mills theory, which is a fundamental theory in quantum field theory.

2. Why is N=4 SYM important?

N=4 SYM is important because it is a highly symmetric and mathematically elegant theory that has been extensively studied by physicists and mathematicians. It also has important applications in string theory and may provide a potential framework for a unified theory of physics.

3. Who can benefit from learning N=4 SYM?

N=4 SYM is primarily studied by physicists, mathematicians, and other scientists working in related fields. However, anyone with a strong background in mathematics and physics can benefit from learning this theory, as it is a fascinating and challenging topic.

4. What are some resources for learning N=4 SYM?

There are many resources available for learning N=4 SYM, including textbooks, research papers, online lectures, and workshops. Some recommended textbooks include "Introduction to Supersymmetry" by Peter West and "Supersymmetry and String Theory" by Michael Dine.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in mathematics and physics to learn N=4 SYM?

While a strong background in mathematics and physics is highly recommended, it is not absolutely necessary to understand N=4 SYM. With dedication and hard work, anyone can learn this theory, but it may require additional effort for those without a strong background in these subjects.