Learning physical chemistry online? My professor is bad

In summary, it is worthwhile to attend lecture, even if it may be challenging at times, and to use online sources and forums as helpful resources to supplement your learning.
pa5tabear
We are learning about NMR and ESR right now.

I know physical chemistry is a difficult topic to learn because there is a lot of background information that you have to be aware of in order to understand things.

My professor does not reference these background topics, speaks with a strong accent, has difficult to read handwriting, and makes occasional factual errors as well. This is well known among the student body. We have a weak chemistry department.

So... is it still worthwhile to attend lecture? My plan right now is to sit in the back and have my computer with me so I can google stuff when I'm confused.

I might just stop attending, however, if there were a good online source to use instead.

PS: I already know to ask questions on physics forums and I may just start using it exclusively to do the homework.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it is still worth attending lecture. Even if your professor might not be the best at conveying the material or referencing background topics, you are still likely to gain valuable insights from attending the lectures. Being in the classroom with other students and the professor can also give you a better understanding of the material. Additionally, it is important to attend lecture so that you can stay up-to-date on the course material. Even if you don't understand everything the professor is saying, you can still benefit from hearing the topics being discussed. If you have access to good online sources for the material, you could use them as a supplement to attending lecture. This would allow you to gain a deeper understanding of the material and make sure you don't miss any important points. You can also use forums such as Physics Forums or Stack Exchange to ask questions about things you don't understand or need help with.

1. What are the challenges of learning physical chemistry online?

Some common challenges of learning physical chemistry online include lack of hands-on laboratory experience, difficulty in understanding complex mathematical concepts without direct explanation, and limited opportunities for one-on-one interactions with the professor.

2. How can I make the most out of online physical chemistry classes if my professor is bad?

It is important to take initiative and actively seek resources outside of your professor, such as online forums, textbooks, and video tutorials. Additionally, forming study groups with classmates can help fill in any gaps in understanding and provide support.

3. Are there any specific resources or tools that can aid in learning physical chemistry online?

Yes, there are many resources and tools available such as virtual simulations, interactive online quizzes, and video lectures. You can also reach out to your professor or teaching assistant for recommended resources.

4. How can I ensure that I am fully understanding the material without direct in-person instruction?

To ensure understanding, it is important to actively engage with the material and regularly review notes and assignments. Don't be afraid to ask questions and seek clarification from your professor or peers. Practice problems and quizzes can also help assess your understanding.

5. What are some tips for staying motivated and focused while learning physical chemistry online?

To stay motivated, set specific goals for each study session and reward yourself when you achieve them. Stay organized and create a study schedule to ensure you are dedicating enough time to the course. Also, make sure to take breaks and engage in activities that you enjoy to prevent burnout.