Leaving grad school at this time?

In summary, Cristo is considering leaving graduate school in mathematics because he is unhappy with the material and the direction the school is taking. He is looking for advice on how to go about this, and is worried about the process because he is the first person to do this. He thinks that option 1 (going back for one more year) is not an option because he would have to focus on math and he can't investigate other course work that would prepare him for a masters program. Option 2 (living at home and paying to go to school part time as a continuing education student at a university close to where he lives) is an attractive option, but he is worried about not having money unless he finds a decent job.
H-node
I have frequented these forums many times, but this is my first post. I am looking for advice, antidotes, or just suggestions on leaving graduate school in math (or any subject for that matter).

Just a little about me: I majored in mathematics at an engineering school, but instead of taking advantage of that, I focused on mainly pure math. I was sure when I was a freshman that I wanted do research in a pure math subject. I got into a grad school that does very little applied research (there are not even any analyst around) with a teaching assistantship. I just finished my first year, and I really don't want to go back.

My first year: I am not sure what happened. When the school year started, I started to have the feeling that I really didn't want to study the material anymore. But, nevertheless, I forced myself to study quite a lot, almost compulsively. I learned a great deal, but, ultimately, I started thinking more and more about leaving grad school.

Now that we are in the middle of summer, I am desperately trying to figure out a way in which to not go back that makes sense. I started studying programming and applied to many jobs. But, it seems that moving away from the theoretical into something that will reasonably support myself will take more than a summer. With that said, I think my best option is an employable masters degree in a subject that is interesting, but of course, I would have to wait until at least next year because deadlines for applications have all passed.

To me there are two options (and if you know of others I would really really appreciate the suggestion). These options are:

1) Go back for one more year, but apply to some type of masters program for the next year. The benefit of this option is that I have a small but steady income from my teaching assistantship. The downside is that I have to mainly focus on math and I can't investigate other course work that would prepare me for a masters program.

2) Don't go back, live at home and pay to go to school part time as a continuing education student at a university close to where I live. This is is an attractive option because of the academic freedom but I will not have any money unless I find a decent job. Then apply to a masters program.

I know that some would say 1 is a better option because I am possibly a year away from a masters degree in math, but my university doesn't have the option of obtaining a terminal masters degrees as a get out package. No one has ever done it.

Am I missing something? Or is this a pretty bad situation to be in especially while the job market is the way it is? Needless to say, It seems very unlikely that I would find a decent job right now.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know for sure that the masters route through option 1 is not available to you? I.e. have you actually spoken to anyone who has told you definitively that you will not be able to obtain a masters degree at the end of next year? Just because no one has ever done it doesn't mean that you can't.

Cristo,

You're right, I should talk to someone first. But, I am worried about the process because I would be the first person to do it. In my experience, things like this will not be presented as a guarantee but as a maybe: "if you do this, this, and this, then maybe there is a chance that we can award you a masters." But, I will try to figure out the exact details if I can. Thanks.

A lot of schools do not allow you to apply for a terminal masters, but they may allow you to leave a PhD program with a masters.

You should definitely check out this option.

Agree with G01 - why not just stay in the program till you've earned your masters and then bail? Do you not acquire one in the process?

The second plan sounds like a recipe for ending up in a crappy job you hate and a degree that'll never get finished. Just my opinion.

1. What are the potential consequences of leaving grad school at this time?

Leaving grad school at this time may have various consequences, depending on your specific situation. Some potential consequences may include delaying or giving up on your career goals, financial implications, and strained relationships with mentors and peers.

2. How will leaving grad school affect my future career prospects?

This will depend on your reasons for leaving and your future plans. Leaving grad school may impact your career prospects in a positive or negative way, depending on how you use your time and skills after leaving. It is important to carefully consider your options and make a well-informed decision.

3. What steps should I take before making the decision to leave grad school?

Before making the decision to leave grad school, it is important to carefully evaluate your reasons for wanting to leave and explore all possible options. You should also discuss your decision with trusted mentors or advisors, and carefully consider the potential consequences and implications.

4. Are there any alternatives to leaving grad school at this time?

Yes, there may be alternatives to leaving grad school at this time. Some options may include taking a leave of absence, switching to part-time enrollment, or changing your research focus or advisor. It is important to discuss these alternatives with your program or department before making a decision.

5. How can I cope with the emotional and psychological impact of leaving grad school?

Leaving grad school at this time can be a difficult and emotional decision. It is important to seek support from friends, family, and mental health professionals if needed. You may also find it helpful to explore new hobbies or activities, and to focus on your personal and professional growth during this time.