Leaving graduate school for a semester?

In summary, the person is an incoming graduate student and is considering taking a semester off due to their mother's cancer returning. They are wondering if they can return to the university after a semester off or if they will need to re-apply. They are also wondering how they will afford it, especially with their loans no longer being deferred. The conversation also includes advice from someone who has been in a similar situation, mentioning that there may be paperwork to sign and suggesting talking to a loan officer.
Dishsoap
Hello everyone,

I have a couple of questions. I'm an incoming graduate student starting in the fall, and working with a group at my future graduate school this summer. I do not want the pity of anyone in my department (especially as a new student) so I'm aware that the answers I get here may be pretty general.

I moved across the country a month ago today, and found out today that my mom's cancer has returned with vengeance. I need to entertain the possibility of going home for a semester - this may not happen, but it's a "hope for the best, prepare for the worst" kind of scenario. All of my fellowships and support are on a semester-by-semester basis, so taking a semester off should not pose any issues in that regard. I do have two questions though.

1) Will I be able to return to the university after a semester off, or will I need to re-apply?
2) This is more for anyone who has ever done this... how on Earth did you afford it? Even if I can manage to find a subleaser for my apartment for a semester, my loans will no longer be deferred and I cannot afford to make loan payments for a semester without having any income.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dishsoap said:
1) Will I be able to return to the university after a semester off, or will I need to re-apply?

Ask the university not us.

As for the second question I sort of did it. I understand your problem. At the end of my first year of graduate school far from my home my father having just retired had a serious medical problem. Guilt at being so far from home at this time and for the foreseeable future caused me to made the decision to change schools at the end of my second semester. I probably lost a year because of that alone. However I entered a situation that I would not have had if I didn't change schools that unexpectedly cost me several more years (my fault). I eventually got my degree but those last several years changed my career outlook/opportunities. I think It will affect your future but how or to what extend no one can tell.

Sorry to hear the news about your Mom. I hope it turns out ok.

Dishsoap said:
I did it twice as a grad student at Berkeley, albeit early on in the program (after the qualifying exams and before research). There was simply paperwork to sign.

Dishsoap said:
how on Earth did you afford it?
I left to go back to a very lucrative job, so money wasn't the issue. Are there special conditions for deferment for personal reasons? You should talk to your loan officer - better to have the conversation than avoid it (from personal experience).

1. Why would someone want to leave graduate school for a semester?

There are a variety of reasons why someone may choose to leave graduate school for a semester. Some common reasons include personal or family issues, financial concerns, health problems, or simply needing a break from the rigorous academic demands.

2. Will leaving graduate school for a semester negatively impact my academic progress?

This depends on your specific situation and the policies of your graduate program. If you communicate your reasons for leaving and have a plan in place to make up any missed coursework or research, it is unlikely that it will significantly impact your progress. However, it is important to discuss your plans with your advisor and/or graduate program coordinator to ensure you are meeting all requirements.

3. Can I still receive funding if I leave graduate school for a semester?

This also depends on your specific program and funding source. Some fellowships or grants may have specific requirements that you must meet in order to continue receiving funding, so it is important to check with your advisor or program coordinator. If you are receiving a stipend or assistantship, you may need to discuss your plans with your department to determine if there are any implications for your funding.

4. How will leaving graduate school for a semester affect my relationships with my advisor and colleagues?

This will depend on your individual relationships and how you communicate your plans. It is important to be open and honest with your advisor and colleagues about your reasons for taking a break and to keep them updated on your progress. If you maintain good communication, your relationships should not be negatively impacted.

5. Will taking a semester off hinder my chances of finding a job after graduation?

Again, this will depend on your individual situation and how you use your time during your break. If you are able to use the time to gain valuable experience or skills, it may actually enhance your job prospects. However, if you do not have a clear plan for how you will use your time off, it may be viewed less favorably by potential employers. It is important to discuss your plans with your advisor and to consider how you can make the most of your time off.