Legendre's Equation & Bonnet's Recursion

• Thread starter BackEMF
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Recursion
In summary, the conversation discusses Bonnet's Recursion formula and its usefulness for computations. It is explained that this formula is useful for avoiding loss of significant digits in calculations, especially for larger values of x. It is compared to Horner form for generic polynomials.
BackEMF
This seemed to be the most appropriate forum for this.

I've been doing a bit of self-study of Kreyszig's Advance Engineering Mathematics (which I think is an excellent book). Doing out one of the problems (Chapter 5, 14 (d), pg 181 in the 9th International Edition) I've come across Bonnet's Recursion formula, which goes:

[tex] (n+1)P_{n+1}(x)=(2n+1)xP_{n}(x)-nP_{n-1}(x) [/tex]

which is fine & makes perfect sense. But then he goes on to say:

"This formula is useful for computations, the loss of significant digits being small (except near zeros). Try [this formula] out for a few computations of your own choice."

This is the bit I can't figure out. How is it useful for computations? What kind of comptations? I can't think of anything that would yield "lossy" computations, I mean it will compute the next Legendre Polynomial EXACTLY from the two previous ones. Whatever computations Kreyszig's talking about, they obviously don't give exact results since he talks about "loss of significant digits".

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
When using any practical computational device, you will never get infinite precision. The naive way to evaluate polynomials tend to be very badly behaved for larger x, as you end up subtracting very large terms to get a small value. This recursion formula is similar to Horner form for generic polynomials.

Ah yes, that makes sense. I wasn't thinking about floating point approximations at all, but that clears it up.

Thanks Genneth!

1. What is Legendre's Equation?

Legendre's Equation is a second-order differential equation in mathematics that is named after the French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre. It is used to solve problems in physics and engineering that involve spherical harmonics and potential functions.

2. What is Bonnet's Recursion?

Bonnet's Recursion is a method used to generate new solutions for Legendre's Equation. It involves using a known solution to Legendre's Equation to generate a new solution with a higher degree. This method is useful for finding multiple solutions to the same problem.

3. What are the applications of Legendre's Equation & Bonnet's Recursion?

Legendre's Equation and Bonnet's Recursion have various applications in physics and engineering. They are used to solve problems involving heat flow, electromagnetic fields, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the study of fluid mechanics and celestial mechanics.

4. How is Bonnet's Recursion related to Legendre Polynomials?

Bonnet's Recursion is used to generate new solutions for Legendre's Equation, which are known as Legendre Polynomials. These polynomials are a special class of orthogonal polynomials that arise from solving Legendre's Equation. They have numerous applications in mathematics and physics.

5. What is the difference between Legendre's Equation and Laplace's Equation?

Legendre's Equation and Laplace's Equation are both second-order differential equations used in physics and engineering. However, Legendre's Equation is specific to problems involving spherical harmonics and potential functions, while Laplace's Equation is used to solve problems involving potential fields. Additionally, Legendre's Equation is non-homogeneous, while Laplace's Equation is homogeneous.