1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Leidenfrost effect

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1
    Can someone give me some ideas on my current physics Project:cry:
    I am currently measureing the effect of temperature of a hot plate on the life time of a water droplet!
    But I am looking of some realistic ideas on other variables that i can change on top of the leidenfrost effect.
    Also I am abserving this rotating motion of the suspending liquid, where it spins with a star characteristic. Does any one know why this happen?
    Thank you,:rofl:
    You can write to me vis email : dragoon.li@gmail.com

Last edited: Oct 21, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

What does "star characteristic" mean?

It could simply mean that surface tension or liquid cohesiveness in the drop is not azimuthally uniform, which is quite natural and expected.

4. Oct 23, 2005 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Usefuel reference - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leidenfrost_Effect

and

http://www.wiley.com/college/phy/halliday320005/pdf/leidenfrost_essay.pdf

The Leidenfrost point (LFP) is the minimum surface temperature required to support film boiling, and film boiling is undesirable in a heat exchanger because the vapor phase has a significantly lower heat transfer coefficient (lower thermal conductivity), which will result in higher temperatures on the heated surface which is being cooled by boiling liquid. Higher temperatures can lead to premature or catastropic structural failure, and in aqueous systems, lead to corrosion which degrades heat transfer properties, and can degrade structural integrity.

5. Jun 23, 2010 #4
    this phenomenon that you've observed has been observed and studied by others -- the star pattern is called a "leidenfrost star"... which was "discovered" in the 50s by holter and glasscock.

here's the reference:

N. Holter and W. Glasscock, “Vibrations of evaporating liquid drops,”
    J. Ac. Soc.
    Am., vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 682–686, 1952.

hope this helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?