Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lemon battery without copper and zinc metals

1. Sep 3, 2016 #1
    Hello,

I have seen a video online that shows how a LED can be lit using a single lemon without using a copper and a zinc nail. They simply stick the LED into the lemon.

What does that work? I know the lemon contains the electrolyte but don't we always need to dissimilar metals for the battery to work?
    thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2016 #2

nsaspook

Science Advisor

I think you need a lime for it to work.:rolleyes:

4. Sep 3, 2016 #3
    yeah, true. But why?

5. Sep 3, 2016 #4

nsaspook

Science Advisor

It was a joke, the video is a poor fake.

6. Sep 3, 2016 #5

Bandit127

Gold Member

If you wanted to fake it, could you plate one leg with zinc? It would look silver on a video and maybe pass for an "untreated" LED. The anodic index of silver solder is the same as copper according to the table here:
    http://www.engineersedge.com/galvanic_capatability.htm

7. Sep 3, 2016 #6

nsaspook

Science Advisor

Let say you had a single cell made with a magnesium/copper plated tiny surface reaction area legs LED that might give 1.6 volts (the penny/nail open voltage is about 0.9) open circuit and drop to half that voltage value with a few micro-amp load because of high internal resistance. Would that work to light an LED?
    1883Fig10.gif

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  8. Sep 5, 2016 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Possibly there could be concealed wires or a battery buried inside the fruit?

9. Sep 7, 2016 #8

rbelli1

Gold Member

It is definitely a shoop. I can tell from the pixels. Third one from the left has shifty eyes.

BoB

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted