1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length Contraction from an Angle

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A meter stick is moving with 0.8C relative to frame S. What is the sticks length when measured by an observer in S if the stick is 60 degrees to v, as seen in the rest frame?

2. Relevant equations
    Length contraction = proper length /lorentz factor

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay for the speed I got the lorentz factor = 1.66667. So if the meter stick was moving directly parallel the length would be contracted to .6 meters. I know that length contraction only occurs in the direction of motion, so NOT perpendicular. And I know that I can solve it by thinking about the meter stick as the hypotenuse of a 30-60-90 triangle. I think I am just mis visualizing something, but I really can't seem to work it out. I looked in the back of the book and the answer is .917 meters. I used that to try to work backwards and still could not figure it out.

Any direction would be awesome...

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi SpaceTrekkie! :smile:
    All correct. :wink:

Draw the triangle in x,y coordinates.

Now draw it again in x',y' coordinates.

y' = y and x' = 0.6x, so … ? :smile:

4. Feb 3, 2009 #3
    Hmm, Does it work to change the x and y axis so that they x axis is in like with the direction of motion? I think that might make it easier, or am I over thinking the problem?

5. Feb 4, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you're completely correct :smile:

always have one of the axes in the direction of motion …

otherwise the equations get too complicated! :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?