Length of sides of a wire loop in a uniform magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
cestlavie
Messages
10
Reaction score
3
Homework Statement
A wire loop with 60 turns is formed into a square with sides of length 𝑠. The loop is in the presence of a 1.00 T uniform magnetic field 𝐵 that points in the negative 𝑦 direction. The plane of the loop is tilted off the 𝑥-axis by ##\theta=15##. If 𝑖=1.30 A of current flows through the loop and the loop experiences a torque of magnitude 0.0727 N⋅m , what are the lengths of the sides s of the square loop, in centimeters?
Relevant Equations
## A=x^2##
## \tau=NIABsin\theta##
If ##\tau= 0.0727, N=60, i=1.3, B=1.0,## and ##\theta=15##, I tried the following calculation:
##\tau=NIABsin\theta##
##\tau=NIs^2Bsin\theta##
##s^2=\frac {\tau} {NIBsin\theta}=\frac {.0727} {60*1.3*1*sin(15)}=0.0632 m=6.32 cm##
The answer is probably right in front of me, but I don't know what I am doing wrong.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
One thing, the dimensions of the last equation is length squared.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cestlavie
Keith_McClary said:
One thing, the dimensions of the last equation is length squared.
Oops! I forgot to add the square root! But my answer is for s, not s squared.
##s^2= \frac {\tau} {NIBsin\theta}##
##s=\sqrt {\frac {\tau} {NIBsin\theta}}=0.0632m = 6.32 cm##
 
I feel all kinds of stupid. I tried doing a different set of numbers and realized that my calculator was not in degrees. Thank you @Keith_McClary for your help.