1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Length of wire in a coil of known dimensions?

1. May 25, 2012 #1
    suppose that i have a wire with a known thickness ... and i want to wind it around a solid cylinder with known dimensions, and in the end make a coil with the same length as the solid cylinder

how do i relate between the length of wire required and the diameter of this coil?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2012 #2
    W = Length of Wire
    D = Diameter of Pipe
    L = Length of Pipe (and wire coil)
    T = Thickness of Wire
    ∏ = pi

W = ∏(D+T/2)(L/T)

This should give you what you need under ideal situations

The length of the wire is equal to the length of one loop of wire around the tube, ∏(D+T/2), times the number of times it is able to go around the tube, (L/T).

Be sure that your units are all the same (use some common measurement like 'cm' for all of these).

4. May 26, 2012 #3
    that seems to only apply for a single layer of wire coiled onto the core

in order to account for multiple layers of wire, it looks like it will take calculating a linear combination ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_combination ) where you have an integer multiple of T?

Last edited: May 26, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook