Length & Wavelength: Solving the Puzzle

In summary, the length of the air column shown in the diagram can be determined by dividing the speed of sound in air (343 m/s) by the frequency of the tuning fork (225 Hz), resulting in a wavelength of 1.52 m. However, for an open-closed air column, the length is only a quarter of the wavelength, so the appropriate length would be found by dividing the wavelength by 4.
Brittykitty
. If the speed of sound in air is 343 m/s and the frequency of the tuning fork is 225 Hz, what is the length of the air column shown in the diagram?

wavelength= v ÷ f
wavelength =343[m/s] ÷ 225[Hz]
wavelength =1.52 m

I'm not feeling this is right, what am I doing wrong? Is length and wavelength two completely different things?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well we need the diagram. Sometimes the length will be the same as the wavelength sometimes the length will be different. It depends on what harmonic the tube resonates at.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?success=1&id=554045645#!/photo.php?pid=12020991&id=554045645

I uploaded it to facebook the picture of the tuning fork lol :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The diagram shows a tuning fork vibrating over an air column closed at one end by water. The length of the air column can be varied and is one quarter of the wavelength of the longest standing waves set up by the tuning fork.

and that's the other information about it

The wavelength is right but don't forget that the length of an open-closed air column is not equal to the wavelength but rather only a quarter of it.

flyers said:
The wavelength is right but don't forget that the length of an open-closed air column is not equal to the wavelength but rather only a quarter of it.

Yes this is correct. You got the correct wavelength but there is only a quarter of a wavelength in the tube so find the appropriate length.

Thank you! so would I divide it by half?

Brittykitty said:
Thank you! so would I divide it by half?

Almost. It says the longest wavelengths (fundamental harmonic) are 4 times the length of the tube.

So to find the length of the tube you would divide by 4, not 2.

thank you so much :):) I meant 4, I'm not sure why I put 2 lol

Related to Length & Wavelength: Solving the Puzzle

1. What is the difference between length and wavelength?

Length refers to the measurement of an object from one end to the other, while wavelength refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs in a wave. In other words, length is a physical measurement, while wavelength is a property of a wave.

2. How are length and wavelength related?

Length and wavelength are inversely proportional. This means that as the length of a wave increases, its wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula: wavelength = speed of wave / frequency.

3. Why is it important to understand the concept of length and wavelength?

Understanding length and wavelength is essential in various areas of science and technology, especially in the study of light and sound. It helps us understand how these waves behave and how they interact with different materials and environments.

4. How do we measure length and wavelength?

Length can be measured using a ruler, measuring tape, or other tools. Wavelength is usually measured using specialized instruments such as spectrometers or by using mathematical equations to calculate it from other known parameters.

5. Can length and wavelength be changed or manipulated?

Yes, length and wavelength can be changed or manipulated. For example, the length of a stretched spring can be changed by pulling it, and the wavelength of a sound wave can be changed by altering the frequency. In some cases, scientists can also manipulate the properties of materials to alter the length and wavelength of waves passing through them.