Force Exerted by Shot-Putter: Solving the Puzzle

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of average force exerted by a shot-putter using equations F=ma, x=vo t + 1/2 at^2, and v=vo at. The use of the chain rule is also mentioned and the expected answer is around 200 Newtons. However, the use of calculus may complicate the problem and the person may need to try different numbers to get the correct answer.
TheNovice
1. What is the average force exerted by a shot-putter on a 7.0 kilogram shot if the shot is moved through a distance of 2.8 meters and is released with a speed of 13 m/s?

2. F=ma, x = vo t + 1/2 at^2, v=vo at

3. I think you get time by using D = vt, but when I use this time and plug it into the distance equation above I get a weird answer. The real answer should be in the ballpark of 200 Newtons.

Physics news on Phys.org
ok I'm not sure how much calculus you know but the chain rule allows you to write:
F=ma=m[tex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]=m[tex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]v
this means the F =mv*(change in velocity)/(change in position)

However this gives me about 400 N so I might be forgetting something.

Heimisson said:
ok I'm not sure how much calculus you know but the chain rule allows you to write:
F=ma=m[tex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex][tex]\frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]=m[tex]\frac{dv}{dx}[/tex]v
this means the F =mv*(change in velocity)/(change in position)

However this gives me about 400 N so I might be forgetting something.

Thanks for the response

But I'm in an introductory physics course; calculus is a bit too much for me.

I'll play around with the numbers some more.

The problem seems really easy... I just can't get the right answer.

1. What is the force exerted by a shot-putter?

The force exerted by a shot-putter is the amount of energy they use to propel the shot put into the air. This force is measured in Newtons.

2. How is the force exerted by a shot-putter calculated?

The force exerted by a shot-putter can be calculated using the equation F = m x a, where F is the force, m is the mass of the shot put, and a is the acceleration of the shot put.

3. What factors affect the force exerted by a shot-putter?

The force exerted by a shot-putter can be affected by various factors such as the technique used, the strength and speed of the athlete, the weight and shape of the shot put, and the type of surface they are throwing on.

4. Why is it important to understand the force exerted by a shot-putter?

Understanding the force exerted by a shot-putter is important for coaches and athletes to improve their performance and technique. It can also help in injury prevention and proper training.

5. How does the force exerted by a shot-putter compare to other sports?

The force exerted by a shot-putter is relatively high compared to other sports, with elite athletes able to exert forces of over 4000 Newtons. However, it is lower than sports such as weightlifting and powerlifting, where athletes can exert forces of over 10,000 Newtons.