Lens Question for Design of an Infrared Spotlight

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
zlj06
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Hello All.

I'm working on a project to build an infrared spotlight which will hopefully light up a distant object so that I can see it on an IP enabled night vision camera. The lens problem seems very straight forward, but I could use some help. Per the attached diagram, I want to focus the light from an led (or cluster of LEDs) on an object that is 40m tall, 400m away. Ideally, I'd like the LEDs + Optics to be housed in a piece of PVC pipe less than 2m long. Whats the easiest way to do this with off the shelf cheap plastic lenses?

Thanks for the help...
 
Attachments
  • Diagram.png
    Diagram.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 611
Physics news on Phys.org
zlj06 said:
shelf cheap plastic lenses?
IR transparency and plastic are mutually exclusive.
 
I'm not an expert but I suspect you will need more power than that type of LED can produce. How sensitive is the camera? Perhaps start with that and work back?

Perhaps you could use LEDs that have a 6 degree beam angle? No optics needed then.
 
Bystander said:
IR transparency and plastic are mutually exclusive.

You might have to explain that. How do TV remote controls work if (at least some) plastic isn't IR transparent.
 
CWatters said:
You might have to explain that.
Just googled IR optics, and no plastic components.
 
zlj06 said:
Great call CW! That's a much easier solution. Digikey has some very narrow radiation angle LEDs, so I'll solder together a cluster of those first and give that a try. Thanks, Zach
Bystander said:
Just googled IR optics, and no plastic components.
The LED in question is in the near IR, at 850 nm. Aren't plastics typically transparent there?