Let f:G -> H be a surjective homomorphism. |C_G(g)| >= |C_H(f(g)|

  • Thread starter Thread starter Esran
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Surjective
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Esran
Messages
73
Reaction score
0
Let f:G --> H be a surjective homomorphism. |C_G(g)| >= |C_H(f(g)|

Homework Statement



Suppose G is a finite group and H is a group, where θ:G→H is a surjective homomorphism. Let g be in G. Show that |CG(g)| ≥ |CH(θ(g))|.

Homework Equations



This problem has been bugging me for a day now. I'm studying for my qualifying exam and doing very well otherwise. I sure could use some peace of mind though concerning this problem. I tend to obsess over things I can't figure out.

The Attempt at a Solution



Obviously, θ[CG(g)] ≤ CH(θ(g)), so CG(g) is contained in the pullback of CH(θ(g)). Beyond that, I'm stuck and I would greatly appreciate assistance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org