1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prove ##f^{-1}(G\cap H)=f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)##

1. Oct 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So as the title says I'm supposed to prove ##f^{-1}(G\cap H)=f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)##

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

I've been doing a lot of proofs for my class lately and just wanted to make sure that I'm at least doing one of them correctly so I would appreciate it if someone could tell me whether or not this is correct.

1) Let ##x\in f^{-1}(G\cap H)## then ##\exists y\in (G\cap H)## such that ##y=f(x)## so ##y\in G## and ##y\in H## therefore ##x\in f^{-1}(G)## and ##x\in f^{-1}(H)## so ##x\in f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)## which implies ##f^{-1}(G\cap H)\subseteq f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)##

2) Let ##x\in f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)##, so ##x\in f^{-1}(G)## and ##x\in f^{-1}(H)##. ##\exists a\in G## such that ##a=f(x)## and ##\exists b\in H## such that ##b=f(x)##, since ##a=b##; ##a\in G\cap H## so ##x\in f^{-1}(G\cap H)## which implies ##f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)\subseteq f^{-1}(G\cap H)##

From 1) and 2) we have that ##f^{-1}(G\cap H)=f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H)##

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2015 #2
    It seems no problems that ##A\subseteq B## and ##B\subseteq A## imply ##A=B.##

4. Oct 3, 2015 #3

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It looks good, but it can be simplified a bit. For the first part, I would just note that the following implications hold for all x.
    $$x\in f^{-1}(G\cap H)\ \Rightarrow\ f(x)\in G\cap H\ \Rightarrow\ \begin{cases}f(x)\in G\\ f(x)\in H\end{cases}\ \Rightarrow\ \begin{cases}x\in f^{-1}(G)\\ x\in f^{-1}(H)\end{cases}\ \Rightarrow\ x\in f^{-1}(G)\cap f^{-1}(H).
    $$ For the second part, I would just stare at these implications until I have convinced myself that they all hold in the opposite direction as well. That strategy doesn't always work, but it does in this case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted