1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proving Injectivity of Group Homomorphism Given Relations

1. Nov 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex]G = \langle x,y \ | \ x^2, y^3, (xy)^3 \rangle[/itex], and [itex]f: G \rightarrow A_4[/itex] the unique homomorphism such that [itex]f(x) = a[/itex], [itex]f(y) = b[/itex], where [itex]a = (12)(34)[/itex] and [itex]b = (123)[/itex]. Prove that [itex]f[/itex] is an isomorphism. You may assume that it is surjective.

2. Relevant equations

N/A

3. The attempt at a solution

The previous stages of the question proved that the stated homomorphism was in fact unique, and considered the subgroup [itex]H = \langle y \rangle[/itex] along with the set of cosets [itex]A = \{H, xH, yxH, y^2xH\}[/itex], from which I have proven that [itex]gH \in A, \ \forall g \in G[/itex]. I'm not sure what relevance those stages have to the proof of isomorphism though I'd assume there is some relevance since otherwise the question would be a little disjoint; my only thought so far is that it relates to the first isomorphism theorem for groups, since we have a group homomorphism and a set of cosets, but I can't see how to make it work in this example. We did a similar question in lectures involving proving that [itex]D_{2n} \cong \langle x,y \ | \ x^n, y^2, (xy)^2 \rangle[/itex] where injectivity was proven by rewriting elements of the group as words of the form [itex]x^ky^l[/itex] using the given relations, and concluding that [itex]\#G \leq 2n[/itex]. I have tried something similar with this question but am struggling to rewrite elements of [itex]G[/itex] in a similar form (though I'd guess there'd be an irreducible factor of [itex](xy)^m[/itex] in the word somewhere) which is useful.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2012 #2
    I hate to bump, but...anyone?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook