1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Letters of Recommendation

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    Hey all, I have a quick question about asking for recommendations. I wanted to know what's an appropriate amount of recommendation letters from one professor?

I am currently at a community college and have a good relation with the lone physics professor, and am searching for where to finish my degree. I have about 6 schools in mind, except I don't want to seem intrusive and push him to write recommendations for all 6. So what, in your opinion, would be a reasonable amount to ask for?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2
    All three of my professors recommended me for each of my schools. All the letters are the same, they basically just change the name of the school they are recommending you for.

4. Dec 16, 2008 #3
    Yup. It's unlikely that the professor will intimately know the school you are applying to, so he can't really say "He'll be good for your school because XYZ" and somehow list different reasons for a different school

All 3 of my professors are recommending me to each of the schools I'm applying to as well.

5. Dec 16, 2008 #4
    6 letters is not at all an unreasonable amount.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?