Letters of Recommendation

• Thread starter MarsVolta
  • Start date
Hey all, I have a quick question about asking for recommendations. I wanted to know what's an appropriate amount of recommendation letters from one professor?

I am currently at a community college and have a good relation with the lone physics professor, and am searching for where to finish my degree. I have about 6 schools in mind, except I don't want to seem intrusive and push him to write recommendations for all 6. So what, in your opinion, would be a reasonable amount to ask for?

Answers and Replies

Hey all, I have a quick question about asking for recommendations. I wanted to know what's an appropriate amount of recommendation letters from one professor?

I am currently at a community college and have a good relation with the lone physics professor, and am searching for where to finish my degree. I have about 6 schools in mind, except I don't want to seem intrusive and push him to write recommendations for all 6. So what, in your opinion, would be a reasonable amount to ask for?

All three of my professors recommended me for each of my schools. All the letters are the same, they basically just change the name of the school they are recommending you for.

WarPhalange
Yup. It's unlikely that the professor will intimately know the school you are applying to, so he can't really say "He'll be good for your school because XYZ" and somehow list different reasons for a different school

All 3 of my professors are recommending me to each of the schools I'm applying to as well.

6 letters is not at all an unreasonable amount.