How Many Recommendation Letters Should You Request from One Professor?

In summary: You should have as many as you can get, as long as they are all good ones.In summary, the person asking the question is wondering how many recommendation letters they should ask for from one professor in order to avoid being intrusive. They have about 6 schools in mind and want to know an appropriate amount to request. The conversation also reveals that all 3 of their professors are recommending them to each school, and that having 6 letters is not unreasonable as long as they are all positive.
MarsVolta
Hey all, I have a quick question about asking for recommendations. I wanted to know what's an appropriate amount of recommendation letters from one professor?

I am currently at a community college and have a good relation with the lone physics professor, and am searching for where to finish my degree. I have about 6 schools in mind, except I don't want to seem intrusive and push him to write recommendations for all 6. So what, in your opinion, would be a reasonable amount to ask for?

Physics news on Phys.org
MarsVolta said:
Hey all, I have a quick question about asking for recommendations. I wanted to know what's an appropriate amount of recommendation letters from one professor?

I am currently at a community college and have a good relation with the lone physics professor, and am searching for where to finish my degree. I have about 6 schools in mind, except I don't want to seem intrusive and push him to write recommendations for all 6. So what, in your opinion, would be a reasonable amount to ask for?

All three of my professors recommended me for each of my schools. All the letters are the same, they basically just change the name of the school they are recommending you for.

Yup. It's unlikely that the professor will intimately know the school you are applying to, so he can't really say "He'll be good for your school because XYZ" and somehow list different reasons for a different school

All 3 of my professors are recommending me to each of the schools I'm applying to as well.

6 letters is not at all an unreasonable amount.

1. What is the purpose of a letter of recommendation?

A letter of recommendation serves as a written endorsement of a person's character, abilities, and achievements. It is typically requested by an individual for a specific purpose, such as a job or college application, and is meant to provide insight and support for the person's candidacy.

2. Who should I ask to write a letter of recommendation for me?

You should ask someone who knows you well and can speak positively about your skills, work ethic, and character. This could be a teacher, employer, mentor, or coach. It is important to choose someone who can provide specific examples and has a positive view of your abilities.

3. How should I approach someone to ask for a letter of recommendation?

It is important to approach the person in a polite and professional manner. Start by explaining why you are asking for their letter of recommendation and why you value their opinion. Be sure to give them ample time to write the letter and provide any necessary information or materials.

4. What should be included in a letter of recommendation?

A letter of recommendation should include an introduction of the person writing the letter, an overview of their relationship with the candidate, and specific examples of the candidate's skills, achievements, and character. It should also include a conclusion that summarizes the person's overall recommendation.

5. Can I see the letter of recommendation before it is submitted?

It is not appropriate to ask to see the letter of recommendation before it is submitted. The person writing the letter is doing so as a favor and should have the freedom to write it honestly and without interference. You can, however, provide them with any necessary information or materials to ensure they have all the necessary information to write a strong letter.